Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm trying to have a conditional feature in my template system.

The source consists of something like:

HTML Code:
    Some before HTML

<!-- begin:NOT_LOGGED_IN -->

This content shown only when $SWITCHES['NOT_LOGGED_IN'] is true

<!-- end:NOT_LOGGED_IN -->
    <!-- begin:LOGGED_IN -->

This content shown only when $SWITCHES['LOGGED_IN'] is true

<!-- end:LOGGED_IN -->
    The php that I have that processes this is:

PHP Code:

foreach($SWITCHES as $key => $show) {
        if(
    $show) {

preg_replace("\<!-- begin:$key -->(.*?)\<!-- end:$key -->","$1",$skin);
        }
      }

preg_replace("\<\!-- begin:[A-Z]+ --\>(.+?)\<\!-- end:[A-Z]+ --\>","",$skin); 
    When I run it (See it here) I get the errors:
    Code:
    Warning: preg_replace(): Delimiter must not be alphanumeric or backslash in /home/ab/public_html/sources/template.php on line 32
    Warning: preg_replace(): Delimiter must not be alphanumeric or backslash in /home/ab/public_html/sources/template.php on line 36
    Warning: preg_replace(): Delimiter must not be alphanumeric or backslash in /home/ab/public_html/sources/template.php on line 32
    Warning: preg_replace(): Delimiter must not be alphanumeric or backslash in /home/ab/public_html/sources/template.php on line 36
    (To see the errors on tha pages I link to you will need to highlight everything)

What I want to do is compute during the course of the script which sections I want to show and then set $SWITCH['SECTION_NAME'] = 1.
    When it processes it will go through and remove the conditional tags around the code for anything that has been set to 1 (Marked as 'I want to show this block'). The second preg_replace will remove anything other conditional blocks(Including the comment tags) that has not been set to 1.

What are the patters that I should use to do this? A live example is here where you can see that it is not removing any of the blocks, whether I want them or not, and is throwing out errors.
    If its not in Family Guy its not worth it.

Member #
    Just read the error and tells you exactly what's wrong: Your regex delimiter is a backslash, and that won't work (as per the error message). Try another delimieter, perhaps like... (see below).

Also, you need to escape the single dashes as they are part of the regex syntax, so:

PHP Code:

if(
    $show) {

preg_replace("/<!\-\- begin:$key -->(.*?)\<!\-\- end:$key \-\->/","$1",$skin);
        }
      }

preg_replace("/<\!\-\- begin:[A-Z]+ \-\-\>(.+?)\<\!\-\- end:[A-Z]+ \-\-\>/","",$skin); 
    Hope this helps...
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    no errors, but it doesn't do anything. It doesn't replace anything.

Member #
    Ok, I got it:
    PHP Code:
        if(
    $show) {

$skin preg_replace("/<!-- begin:$key -->(.+)<!-- end:$key -->/s","$1",$skin); 
        } 
      } 

$skin preg_replace("/<!-- begin:([A-Z|_]+) -->(.+)<!-- end:\\1 -->/s","",$skin); 
    Now depending on which values of SWITCHES are set, you get the correct section.

Remove Ads