Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

Im wondering if anyone out there as done something similar to what im 'bout to do or has some idea on how to tackle this problem.

I have a csv file containing values to be import into a database (mysql). The values in the csv file could contain values for country names (ie America, Australia etc), name, phone etc.

Lets say that these values needs to be matched into a contacts table containing the fields (name, phone, city, zip, country). It would be trivial to match for values that are names, and phone numbers for instance, however the country field in the contacts table would typically be an id (country_id) which reference another table (country_table).

So, the challenge is to find out if there exists a country name "America" in the country_table before i could insert it into the contacts table.

The problem with this is, if there are 200 records to be imported, then it becomes inefficient to do a search in the country_table for each records.

Does anyone out here know a solution to this? My approach could be wrong and if anyone know of a solution please do let me know.

Thank you heaps.

Sing tran

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So you're saying that you want to import only those records that are for a valid country?

You could do this in a 3-stage approach...
    a) Import CSV into staging table (eg. csv_load_temp)
    b) do an update
    Code:
    UPDATE csv_load_temp a
    SET country_id = ( SELECT b.country_id
                       FROM   country b
                       WHERE  b.country_name = a.country_name ) 
    WHERE EXISTS ( SELECT 1
                   FROM   country c
                   WHERE  c.country_name = a.country_name ) ;
    c) Copy records from csv_load_temp into your contacts table where the country_id IS NOT NULL

Does rely on you having an up-to-date version of MySQL which supports sub-queries, but I think most do these days...

Just an idea.

Sean

Member #
    Hi Sean, thanks for your reply. I will try that out using temporary table of type heap.

Sing Tran

Remove Ads