Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi...before you start complaining that I should have used the search button or posted in a different thread or something, please hear me out. I've been searching around for 2 days and have got nothing so I basically really need help here. Okay where do I begin. I basically just started with HTML and am making a very basic, personal website. On it I have a survey that has those HTML forms on there. Well, I wanted to know if there was a way of making it so when people submited the form they wouldn't have to do it through Outlook Express because I know that many people have AOL, Comcast, Yahoo, or something else besides Outlook Express, so they couldn't send it. I searched around about that and found a code that will make it work, but you need to use PHP or something which I've never heard of before. This is where everything gets confusing, (well for me anyway.) Do I have to have a certain kind of internet service? Or is it a program or what? Will it work with Wide Open West or does it really matter at all? I'm so sorry for so many questions but at this point I'm very discouraged so if anybody would be kind enough to help me out a bit, that'd be great. I am just a MAJOR NOOB when it comes to this stuff. Thanks in advance.

*Lacey

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    www.php.net

It's a coding language that your web space provider needs to support, otherwise the code will not work.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    How do I know if my web space provider supports it?

thanks

Member #
    You have to ask your hosting company if they support it. If there are a respectible hosting company, they should have it.
    Coming this summer...Optimum Site.Com !
    Yea i know, it sounds like a bad movie promo, but it'll be good, I PROMISE! :classic:

Member #
    Hmm, thanks and okay

I hope they're respectible

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    They should have some form of scripting language anyway... if not php, asp or similar.

If they don't allow you to upload your own scripts ask them if they have a "formmail" script available - some offer pre-prepared scripts to their customers.

Failing that you need to get a new host :-)

Sean

Member #
    As everyone has said, almost all respectible hosts will have PHP running on their servers. Mostly they are hosted on BSD or Linux (non windows) servers, but there is also a windows version of PHP meaning basically any webhost can run it for you.

Remove Ads