Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Could somebody please go to my sitehttp://mjbdesign.5gigs.com/forum/ and tell me what's going on with the warning's and the critical error that I'm getting. I would greatly appreciate it.

Member #
    The first error, Too many connections in /home/mjbdesig/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48 means that you are trying to open 2 or more database connections.

Maybe upload the file and we can help you more.

Member #
    If you do a Google search with part of your error codes, you will find a lot of references to this problem:
    [searchweb]phpbb +mysql_connect(): Too many connections[/searchweb]
    I have little experience with phpBB myself, but just from glancing through some of the google links, there seem to be a lot of references to hosting problems. On a typical host, a lot of different sites are sharing one mysql server install, which apperantly in sum can overload the server.

Another tip that was given on one site, was to alter the "config.php" file (at the root level of your phpBB install) and alter 'mysql4' to 'mysql'.
    The file in question is an auto generated file, and sets some script variables.
    In the 'db' folder of your install, you will find (among others) two files named 'mysql4.php' and 'mysql.php' respectively.
    I assume changing the $dbms variable from 'mysql4' to 'mysql' would point to the 'mysql.php' file instead.

I have no idea if that would fix the problem or not, but it would be easy to change back to its original value if no desirable result is obtained.

With reard to how many connections your mySQL server should accept, that would implicate some alterations in the "my.ini" file of the server instance. If your site is beeing hosted, you won't have access to those configuration files.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Nevermind I found my answer. It's my web host. They're having problems with their servers which is affecting me and everyone else who has a phpBB. Thanks bfsog anyhow for the help.

Member #
    Ya you're right Rosland, my site is hosted by 5gigs.com. I've been with them for about a month now and this is the 2nd time they've had problems with their servers. I hope this isn't a continuing problem. As far as I've been able to find they're the only free web host on the net that provides all the wonderful things I need for free.

Remove Ads