Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    HELP! I recently installed PHP & MySQL on a Windows IIS server. I believe that I strictly followed the installation guidelines, however there are some major issues. The site contains a few formmailer scripts. When the form is submitted, neither get nor post automatically passes the input names to the php variables in the mailer script (i.e. a text field named "test" does not get passed to the variable $test). However, it works if I use $_POST['test']...

Is there some reason or configuration that I missed that disables the automatic passing of variables??? Or am I retarded and it's something simple?

To see the non-working script, go to http://www.cerutis.com/planning/wedding-form.html
    There is no php authentification yet, so just click submit with empty values to see what happens.

I have tested a page with the phpinfo() function and everything seems to be in order.

Thanks for your help!

Member #
    Register global setting?

Just go

PHP Code:
    <?php
    $test 
    $_POST['test'];
    ?>

Member #
    Like bfsog said, it's a setting in the 'php.ini' file. (You'll find it in the WINDOWS folder).

If you look down the list of different config settings (or search for it), you will find an entry that says "register_globals = Off".

It's highly reccomended to leave it that way, for security reasons. Otherwise your script is vulnerabel to external variable tampering. This can pose a major security risk for poorly written code.
    If the value is set to 'ON', all variables that are sent through either POST or GET, will be instantly available by calling the variable name directly.
    If it set to 'OFF' (which is default), you will have to use $_POST, $_GET, $_SERVER etc, to retrieve the value (as in bfsog's example above.)

If you use [PHPfunction]import_request_variables[/PHPfunction] at the beginning of the recieving script, all (POST, GET) variables within that script will be available as if you had register_globals set to on.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Thanks a ton guys! Appreciate it!

Remove Ads