Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    But all I have is Dreamweaver and I know that the permissions on my server were set with Frontpage Server Extensions (I have never used Frontpage) and the only thing I know about my server are the FTP settings in Dreamweaver. Is there any way for me to set the Directory Permissions with Dreamweaver? Is there some other method I could use to change those settings? I probably need to e-mail my admin again. However, the last time I discussed this with him, the only reply I could get was that they used Frontpage Server Extensions.

Here's some info on my server
    _ENV["SERVER_SOFTWARE"] = Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    _ENV["OS"] = Windows_NT

The reason why I need to change permissions is because my php scripts are getting Permission denied errors when I try to write to a file.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    you could change the permissions on XP / whetever operating system you are using then upload the directory / file etc...

it may not be the quickest way (I actually use leach FTP for this stuff...), but you can use this whatever tools you are using...

Hope this helps -Hagen
    Hagen Rose: hagen(at)jxwd(dot)co(dot)uk
    JX Web Development, Bournemouth, Dorset...JXWD.co.uk

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

You need to use a normal FTP program (or have your admin do it) and CHMOD the directory and/or files with the appropriate permissions.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You have just repeated exactly what I have said....

IE leach is a "normal" ftp program and chmod is just the unix equavalent to setting properties in XP...

What are you confused by here?

Member #
    I talked with the admin and he managed to get the permissions to work, however it comes at the cost of having to login through my school's login system first. (I am making the site for a club at my school) So it's kind of redundant that you have to login through the schools system before people can login through my site. Of course there are many shortcomings to this solution. For one, if you have to login through my school's system, then there is no way to allow a feedback form for visitors or any other 2 way communication with visitors outside of e-mail.

It probably has to do with their network which is a mess that I wouldn't want to disturb too much. At least the site will be functional though, although it's taking me longer than I said it would :\

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Setting the XP properties on a folder and then uploading it will not guarantee the same settings when uploaded. Also, I've never seen XP have exact settings for Owner, Group, Other, nor read, write, execute.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Have you tried setting the permissions before you upload?

OK, maybe I should have been more explicit... Remember XP has a DOS look alike shell, where you can do all this stuff....

Or if you have a decent FTP tool you can do this locally before you upload...

But, the point of the original post is that you can change the settings before you upload... Using "XP / whatever".... The mechanism is irrelivant...

If you are using a tool which follows FTP correctly then there shouldn't be a problem with the permissions changing... I have never had any, but I supose its possible.

If you are using files / folders which have already been assigned permsssions on the remote server, then its obviously a different ball game...

-Hagen

Member #
    Thanks for the responses, I will try your solutions but I plan to finish the admin tools first. Right now the permissions are good enough to get those up. Unfortunately firewall setting are currently blocking the server, so I cannot do anything.

*EDIT*

I tried it and it did not work. Using AceFTP Pro I recieved the following error "Failed [Server does not support attribute modifications]" which makes perfect sense considering that my site is not on a Unix server. I did set the windows permissions on the folders prior to upload but that did nothing. The private directories were open to public viewing.

Remove Ads