Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: URL mapping

Member #
    hi everyone...

I am facing with some problem related to url and there mapping ..actually i have given bad names to my directories and files ...thus the urls are in bad names like http://www.java-tips.org/content/section/1/2/ thus it looks bad ... what i want is that to change something like this www.java-tips.org/Java-SE-Tips/ ..but at the same time i have to keep in mind few things like:
    1. there are many pages and its not feasible to change things manually.
    2.now since there are lots of websites who are already linked to the pages of this website i don't want my current urls to be completly dropped.

so in short u can say that its problem of url mapping ...so can anyone has some solutions regarding it as ...i hardly know anything about url mapping ..and i searched on net also but nothing is clear...

waiting for help !!
    Anant

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    In Dream weaver (and I guess other tools) you can change directory names and move files around, and the tool will track the changes.....

Just have a play with an old site / example site....

-Hagen
    Hagen Rose: hagen(at)jxwd(dot)co(dot)uk
    JX Web Development, Bournemouth, Dorset...JXWD.co.uk

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    sorry that wasnt very helpful was it!?

apparently according to Google, if you want to move a page and keep the rank the only way is to do a redirect not in the page, but directly using the server, to send out a new page request... It's not somtehing I have done, but there is plenty written about it...

you could keep stuf from your links by making those pages frames to your new pages, but it's messy, particularly around people bookmarking pages...

-H
    Hagen Rose: hagen(at)jxwd(dot)co(dot)uk
    JX Web Development, Bournemouth, Dorset...JXWD.co.uk

Remove Ads