Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi Guys,

I currently have my site hosted with www.uk.easynet.net, but I want to use PHP and MYSQL to design a simple product stock list for selling online.

I am familiart with MYSQL and PHP so this is what I want to use. BUT our easynet sever only supports asp.net and when I rang to enquire about a change they said 'your servers is a shared cluster server which does not support mysql, if you want to use mysql you need a dedicated server which costs 400 for installation and 3000 in annual fees'

This sounds stupidly expensive, so what im asking is, can anyone recommend a uk web host who supports mysql&php and gives about 100mb of space for cheaper than that shown above?

Thanks!

Ger

Member #
    I have 2 hosting deal with http://ukwebsolutionsdirect.co.uk/ and their bronze package offers 100 meg of space.. with mysql and php (4.4.1)

I have good uptime with them (no issues so far) and there support is excellent.

You can register a domain with them or transfer one over.

Hope this helps

Member #
    Does it have to be a UK host?

Member #
    "Does it have to be a UK host?"

Well im not sure, I was just thinking for technical support issues, I could pick up the phone and deal with a UK number.

But I guess not. (are there any big downsides to not having a UK host?)

Also, all our company email addresses contain the website url (for example the web address is 'www.company.com' and all the email addresses within the company are me@company.com, boss@company.com etc etc. If we change where our web site is hosted, will this mess up all our incoming emails? how does that all tie in? does our emails go through the same server? (that bit confuses me). Will we have to keep our current account with easynet for the email side of things???

Thanks for your help so far guys

Member #
    Well the support thing could play a part, but I'm living in South Africa and host all my sites and email in USA.

If you change hosts, you wont lose any emails etc or email addresses. You just have to configure the email on your new hosts side before changing the domains DNS records, and once the change has propagated across the internet(24-72 hours), your will stop receiving email from your current host, and all your email will be sitting at your new host.

So no, you dont need to keep the account with Easynet, if you want to change hosts.

I'm not going to go on about *cough**cough* Dreamhost *cough**cough* because people are sick and tired of me raving about them!

So rather read this thread: http://www.webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=22502
    But if you want to hear more, I'd gladly help out!

:classic:

Member #
    thanks for the info mate

Remove Ads