Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everyone,

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure where a good place for this post would be. Now, on the question...

I'm working a business directory system (in PHP and MySQL, so it's at least kinda relevant to this forum), and I'm looking for a HTML editor that businesses can use to create their profiles and such, and I was thinking about using FCKEditor. However, I'm a little fuzzy about the licensing of it. Mainly because our company plans on selling listing space on this system to businesses, but does this classify the system as commercial? I was planning on probably releasing source code as open source once completed, and I was going to leave all of FCKEditor's links and names and stuff there, so would that relieve me of having to worry about the licensing issues?

Thanks for any help!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The FCKEditor uses the LGPL. The LGPL basically requires that you be sure to maintain attribution and redistribute the code to the FCKEditor if you modify it. It is NOT viral in the sense of the GPL, so the rest of your application is not required to be GPL'ed if you use FCKEditor. That's what I've gathered over the years, but I am not a lawyer.

Member #
    Thanks alot!

Remove Ads