Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Anyone come across something like this on Sourceforge or any of the other sites with free scripts:

I need a simple script that averages input from simple forms and displays this average on my site -- check it out:

www.textbookpower.com/nationalexchanges.html

I was thinking of using radio buttons numbered 1-5 or 1-10. A user votes, the script averages the votes and displays the result next to the review of the site.

I know very little about mySQL and PHP.

I guess, optimally, it would be nice if the entries I have on the site, as you can see from the link I included above, could auto rank according to the value of the average, but I don't want to push it. I will manually rearrange them if it means simplify the process.
    my site: textbookpower.com
    my email: rkennedy@ [domain above]

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Okay, thanks, I read this yesterday but it seemed more comlicated than I thought I could handle. I'm really going to try to gifure it out thought. Thanks "Wired."

You did this a few years back, huh? Are you still using it on any of your sites?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I believe Transio is on one of his sites, and I'm using something like it for something in the future.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Wired,

Thanks for the tip, I got it installed correctly:

http://www.textbookpower.com/ratings/add_review.php

I'm just not sure how to integrate it properly into my site.

Right now I have static HTML pages, check it out:

http://www.textbookpower.com/thebiggies.html
    or
    http://www.textbookpower.com/nationalexchanges.html

I want to be able to add the 5-stars next to the review of each website I have reviewed and let users vote on each, and then add there own reviews. How could I link this stuff together?

Mind you, my knowledge of PHP is not much. But I'm learning. I got a book on it.

By the end of the year I want to learn Python and PHP.

Anyway, how can I do this?

Member #
    Okay, no one has replied, but what are the rules about soliciting contracts on this site?

textbookPOWER is just a simple site, and I'm still working on it, but I would like to make it more interactive and my main goal is to allow users to vote on the sites I've listed and for them to be ranked in accordance with this voting. I'm sure the code above could accomplish this, I'm just not sure how to properly integrate it with my site even though I installed it correctly.

I was thinking I would be willng to pay someone to either teach me how to integrate the code on my site or to just do it for me, if it won't take too long. I'm thinking for someone experienced it wouldn't take no more than 2 hours -- that might be high. So, at 25 dollars and hour, that would be 50 bucks, I'm thinking...any takers? I'll throw in a tip when it's done?

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Wired!

Check it out: http://www.textbookpower.com/national/list_reviews.php

I'm proud of myself. I know so little about PHP, but I was able to get this averaging script working, and it is awesome. I'm loving it.

Hey, who the original writer of this script?

I'm wondering whether anyone knows how I might add a string to this code that would auto rank the sites listed based on their rating.

Under the current system, I have to go in and manually renumber them when their user ranking changes.

Let me know what you think of it all.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Transio and I wrote it.

You'd take the sql results, do a sort by rank, pop them out w/ increasing numbers next to them to indicate rank.

It would be dynamic that way.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads