Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: PHP GD question

Member #
    I am totally new to PHP's GD functions (image editing).

But i know what I want to do:
    Take one image, or three, it doesn't matter, and resize either the second image or the middle part of the one image, over which some Arial text will be laid. Output as PNG or GIF.

How can I either add onto an image two "side" images or resize part of one image?

Thanks in advance!

And relatedly, how can I tell how much room I'll need for a custom string (in a non-fixed-width font like Arial)?
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Nevermind. I got it to work, looking around and learning from php.net and a couple of scripts some people had posted online.

My script is, however, original AFAIK. (I'm sure someone, though, must have done this before.)

Anyway, it takes 3 images, text, a font, font color, and a couple other variables like whether text should be made all uppercase or all lowercase, padding, etc., and creates a custom, beatiful PNG button. The middle image is scaled so the button is always a perfect fit for the text. It will soon cache them -- i just now finished the basic script.

Feel free to play around here (not linked so no robots will hammer it; change those two spaces into dots):
    www pixelsandpages com/images/magic/button-maker-demo.php?text=Hey,+WDF

Cool, huh? :-)

If you want the code, talk to me. I don't know if I'll charge or not.

Member #
    That's pretty cool. I assume everything is lower case and every + gives a space. Did you try limiting the number of characters or reducing the text size if someone like me decided to play around with a very large string?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    I gave it an option to turn everything into lowercase; you tested it with that option "on" (I have since been messing with it).

As far as limiting the number of characters... actually, no. Though I did deal with *short* strings (zero, or so small the middle image would have a negative size). THanks for the tip (Currently a longggggg string just makes it a wiiiiide image. which is mostly ok, i guess i should set a reasonable limit like 512 characters or something.

Member #
    I don't think i mentioned this: you can upload any font and use it... which can give some pretty cool effects you simply can't acheive using just HTML output.

Remove Ads