Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi! Firstly i hope this is the right place to ask this question. Am new to web design and am currently learning although my ambitions far out weigh my knowledge
    I would like to be able to extract a line of text from a website such as a football score from the bbc website and have it displayed upon my site. Ideally this would update every couple of hours automatically and would only take the text at certain points in the page. I have come accross scripts such as 'mini fetch' but could not get this to work. Is using php files the best way to do this or is there a better way and secondly can you suggest where to look to try and learn how to do this as my search on the web has had no joy as yet.
    Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated, as I am loosing my hair too fast as it is!

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Does the BBC give out this info in an RSS feed?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    not sure if they do an RSS feed or not, also want to grab text from another site which i know does not have an RSS feed too is this possible or very complicated, many thanks

Member #
    What about copyright issues? Have you looked into that?
    Also, is this the only site that gives you the scores you need? I'm pretty sure there is something out there with RSS.
    GMan

Member #
    You can look at this http://www.webdesignforums.net/showt...hlight=scraper in the tutorials section.

I haven't updated it to reflect WDF's current layout, but you should get the principle.
    S. Rosland

Remove Ads