Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Apache problem

Member #
    Well, I just got Apache installed and configured the httpd and everything. But when I type in my domain name, nothing happens except "Server not found" from firefox.

I think it might have to do with what I put my port (Listen) to, right now it's like: #Listen [80|12.34.56.78:80]

Is that the problem? or something else? Sorry, I'm a complete nub at this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, generally speaking if you've got a server running locally, the way to access it is http://localhost/ . If you're using another IP, make sure your computer has that IP. It's not just something you configure in Apache, it's something you configure for the computer itself. The generic IP for your computer is 127.0.0.1 (for any computer, this points to itself -- it's called the `loopback address' or the `loopback device'). Localhost is the generic domain name that resolves (usually automatically) to 127.0.0.1

Member #
    Ok, when I type in my domain name, it pops up with the same page :/

When I click the localhost thing a page pops up that says (in big bold letters) "It works!" So I'm guessing it works?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yep, it works :-) Your domain name probably isn't mapped appropriately, but I can't be sure what's wrong with that. Localhost is the way to go.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Yep, it works :-) Your domain name probably isn't mapped appropriately, but I can't be sure what's wrong with that. Localhost is the way to go.
    Hmm ok, thanks!

Remove Ads