Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Learning PHP

Member #
    So, with my university year coming to an end today, about time I set about learning something useful over the summer. So, learning php.

Basically, I just need some suggestions web tutorials/books I can read.

Im fairly fluent in Java and more than capable of programming in Visual basic if that helps deciding on a specific book/tutorial set.

Cheers.
    -Andy.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Then I'd run through the manual at php.net, which should give you a pretty good idea of what's possible. Since you already know Java, PHP should be absolute cake for you. The only difference you'll really have to get used to is dynamic typing, and it's really not that big of a deal (well, most of the time :-P). I'd install Apache, mod_php, and MySQL and start playing around. That's how I learned, anyway :-)

Most of the time, in terms of tutorials, whenever I need something in particular, I Google it and something or other will come up.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I would definitally recommend this bookhere

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I highly recommend books by Sams Publishing. Every one I've bought from them has been very good.

Having said that, PHP is a piece of garbage. You could learn ASP.NET 2.0 (and, by extension, C# or Visual Basic.NET; I recommend C#). You could also learn JSP given you already know some Java. C# is very similar to Java both in terms of syntax and implementation.

C# properties for the win.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    I highly recommend books by Sams Publishing. Every one I've bought from them has been very good.

Having said that, PHP is a piece of garbage. You could learn ASP.NET 2.0 (and, by extension, C# or Visual Basic.NET; I recommend C#). You could also learn JSP given you already know some Java. C# is very similar to Java both in terms of syntax and implementation.

C# properties for the win.
    i have 3 Sams books: Perl in 24 hours, CSS in 24 hours, and PHP in 24 hours. All are very good. I do take a liking to php too. Im not very good at it yet but you can do alot with it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by infiniti
    i have 3 Sams books: Perl in 24 hours, CSS in 24 hours, and PHP in 24 hours. All are very good. I do take a liking to php too. Im not very good at it yet but you can do alot with it.
    when can i buy it online ?

Member #

Member #
    Personally I think theres some good O'Reilly books on PHP. Try the book with the same name as this post, Learning PHP. Type it into an amazon search. Each to their own, but I think books are a much better way to learn something new, rather than looking at the online documentation, not only because it hurts your eyes reading off the screen. Save your eyes for the php coding. Read a decent book and use php.net for reference as you go along.

Remove Ads