Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am having so much trouble making this regular expression.

I want to get everything between [list start] and [list end] (including the [list start] and [list end]).

I've tried this:
    Code:
    (\[list start\])[.*](\[list end\])
    But I get this:
    Warning: preg_match_all() [function.preg-match-all]: Unknown modifier '[' in E:\Domains\allstarfg.com\wwwroot\news.php on line 25
    I've tried this:
    Code:
    (\[list start\]).*(\[list end\])
    But I get this:
    Warning: preg_match_all() [function.preg-match-all]: Unknown modifier '.' in E:\Domains\allstarfg.com\wwwroot\news.php on line 25
    I've tried this:
    Code:
    (\[list start\])[.]*(\[list end\])
    But I get this:
    Warning: preg_match_all() [function.preg-match-all]: Unknown modifier '[' in E:\Domains\allstarfg.com\wwwroot\news.php on line 25
    I've tried this:
    Code:
    (\[list start\])([.]*)(\[list end\])
    But I get this:
    Warning: preg_match_all() [function.preg-match-all]: Unknown modifier '(' in E:\Domains\allstarfg.com\wwwroot\news.php on line 25
    ...And let me also point out that this
    Code:
    (\[list start\])
    by itself gives no errors.

Please help :dead:
    Thanks
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Remember to use double-escaping when quoting a regex in PHP - otherwise, it tries to escape the input string.

try this:

PHP Code:
    preg_match_all("\\[list start\\].*\\[list end\\]"$in$out); 

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Remember you need to check for case-insensitivity, multiple lines, and not-greedyness.
    PHP Code:
    preg_match_all("/\[list start\].*\[\/list start\]/siU"$string$matches); 
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Would you need to combine transio's and filburt's suggestions?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't understand what either of them have done by adding the extra slashes... I don't understand why they're needed. It seems like Transio is escaping the slash which I am supposed to be using to escape the [. And Filburt's forward slash, well that's just confusing. Why does that even need to be there?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The forward slash generally delimits a regular expression. In languages where regexps are first-class citizens, like Perl or Ruby, they aren't even contained in strings -- instead, they're contained in a pair of /s. Sometimes, that gets carried over into languages where they *aren't* first-class citizens, which is what's happening in filburt's regexp. Moreover, adding those in in filburt's regexp allows you to add the regexp modifiers siU to the end, which handle case insensitivity, `multi-lineness', and not-greedyness.

As for transio's, example, when you do `\[' in a string, PHP goes `oh, look, [ might be a special string character, so we'll make sure to insert it literally', which is not what you want. What you want is to say `[ is a special regexp character, so make sure there's a \ before it so the regexp engine interprets it literally'. Thus, yes, you need to escape the `\' so that PHP inserts a literal `\' followed by a literal `[' so that the regexp engine sees a literal `['. Simple, eh? :-P

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    The forward slash generally delimits a regular expression. In languages where regexps are first-class citizens, like Perl or Ruby, they aren't even contained in strings -- instead, they're contained in a pair of /s. Sometimes, that gets carried over into languages where they *aren't* first-class citizens, which is what's happening in filburt's regexp. Moreover, adding those in in filburt's regexp allows you to add the regexp modifiers siU to the end, which handle case insensitivity, `multi-lineness', and not-greedyness.
    Hm, interesting... Thanks for the explanation!

As for transio's, example, when you do `\[' in a string, PHP goes `oh, look, [ might be a special string character, so we'll make sure to insert it literally', which is not what you want. What you want is to say `[ is a special regexp character, so make sure there's a \ before it so the regexp engine interprets it literally'. Thus, yes, you need to escape the `\' so that PHP inserts a literal `\' followed by a literal `[' so that the regexp engine sees a literal `['. Simple, eh? :-P
    Aaaaaaaaaah, now it makes sense! Wow, thanks for explaining that!

And thanks Filburt and Transio for your help. My regex works now

Remove Ads