Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi,

I'm trying to set up a comment script for my site. I was able to upload the script via ftp to my host but the section in the documentation that comes with the script that deals with the last step of setting up is a little bit vague. I emailed the scripts' creator for help but haven't received a reply yet.

This is the part that I don't get:

"tablemaker.php
    This is a script that can help you setup the database for the guestbook. You just enter the following information, click on the "Create table" button and the script will make a table in your database ready for use in your guestbook.

* MySQL DB host: The MySQL host address
    * DB username: The MySQL username
    * DB password: The MySQL password
    * DB name: The MySQL database name where you want the table to be created
    * Table name: The table name you want for your guestbook

If you clicked the "create table" button and there is an error, the script will let you know this.

NOTE: After creating the table, you should delete this file from the server"

Actually, it's really just mainly this part of the above: You just enter the following information, click on the "Create table" button".

Does anyone with experience with comment scripts know where I enter the above data and where I find the "Create Table" buttom?

I tried opening the tablemaker.php file but, as it is a .php file, that doesn't make much sense.

Member #
    If you access the PHP file through your browser, such as http://yourdomain.com/folder/tablemaker.php then you should see the form fields that the documentation speaks of.

Once you do as it says, and click the form submit button, fingers crossed, your table should be created.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    If you access the PHP file through your browser, such as http://yourdomain.com/folder/tablemaker.php then you should see the form fields that the documentation speaks of.

Once you do as it says, and click the form submit button, fingers crossed, your table should be created.
    do you know if I have to do anything to the script file first? Right now it's in its own folder on my host but it has a .zip extension and when I click on the folder it doesn't do anything or open so i can't see the individual file pages. they have to be there, though.

The url for the tablemaker is showing a 404 - tablemaker page

Member #
    Extract the zip locally and look for tablemaker.php.

If found then upload that file.

Post back once you have checked for the file.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Extract the zip locally and look for tablemaker.php.

If found then upload that file.

Post back once you have checked for the file.
    This really helped, bfsog! I did exactly as you advised and I can see the pages in my hosting account now and I can go to and access the tablemaker.php page.

I'm supposed to enter some info at the tablemaker page, though, for which I'm pretty sure I have all the enteries for except the first one, which I'm not sure about:

"MySQL DB host:
    DB username:
    DB password
    DB name:
    Table name:"

I'm not sure what the tablemaker is looking for for "MySQL DB host". Is that something that's usually found under "MySQL Databases" in my account or do I have to contact my hosts' admin for that?

Thanks for getting me this far, btw. Yesterday I would not have imagined being able to do this, as easy as this must be for most people.

Member #
    Try 'localhost' without the quotes or "MySQL DB host"., that is the default if the mysql engine is on the same server.

Also make sure you have the right username/password and that the table name you enter does not already exist.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Try 'localhost' without the quotes or "MySQL DB host"., that is the default if the mysql engine is on the same server.

Also make sure you have the right username/password and that the table name you enter does not already exist.
    "Error in selecting database"

Tried both suggestions. Unless someone can advise me further that may have settled that. In the meantime, I will try and ask my host administrator...see what he says. Thanks, bfsog.

Member #
    Depending on what type of control panel you are using, it may differ.

However in your control panel there will be a "mysql" section, where you set up new users, change a users permissions and so on.

Inside there, normally there will be dummy connection strings, which should include the mysql database host name.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I found a very simple shout box script that consists of only 3 files, it could not have been easier to set up.

But when I enter the info at the install page I get a "The file config.php is not writable! CHMOD to 777" message.

And then something my host admin said gives me the impression I'll have problems implementing scripts not located on the same server.

He said "However, that web site probably won't have access to connect to the server because it's located at a remote server"

I asked him what kind of comment script (shoutbox script) i would need then, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Anyone know what I could use? I don't want the comments to appear on their own page, like a guestbook, I want them to show up under a video. Thanks.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by duck444
    I found a very simple shout box script that consists of only 3 files, it could not have been easier to set up.

But when I enter the info at the install page I get a "The file config.php is not writable! CHMOD to 777" message.

And then something my host admin said gives me the impression I'll have problems implementing scripts not located on the same server.

He said "However, that web site probably won't have access to connect to the server because it's located at a remote server"

I asked him what kind of comment script (shoutbox script) i would need then, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Anyone know what I could use? I don't want the comments to appear on their own page, like a guestbook, I want them to show up under a video. Thanks.
    For that you need to open your FTP app, and change the CHMOD of the file in its properties. Most FTP apps allow you to do this, so you just change each box to 7. This is so settings can be written to the config.php file.

Make sure you to change it back once you've run the script.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads