Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone,
    I've just launched a website, but have just noticed a major problem in IE 6. Some links, when clicked on, produce a blank page. The user has to refresh the page in order to get it to load.

I'm using PHP/MySQL on the site, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I can't put my finger on what it could be. After all, many other pages display fine, even through they use the same functions, database queries etc.

To check it out for youself, go to <removed>. The links that produce a blank page are the "contact me" section and many of the print designs.

Is this a known bug with IE? I don't think it's a PHP scripting problem because it works fine in all other browsers.

In case it helps, here is the PHP code from the contact page:

PHP Code:
    Removed because it was skewing my google rankings

Thanks so much for the help!

EDIT: Thanks for the help. I've isolated the problem. I have removed portions of this message on October 4, 2006

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It works fine in both FF and IE7 (well, the uppermost nav-bar is a bit messed up in IE7), and I've loaded all the pages several times in both browsers.

I can only think that it may be a problem with IE rendering the page, or there being a communication error along the line.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    PHP could be set to an error reporting level so low that a fatal error is occuring but it isn't telling you.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, but with a reload fixing the error?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Meaning an error could be occuring for the first page load but you never see it, and a second page load doesn't cause it. Maybe something involving sessions.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Thanks for the replies everyone

yes, it certainly seems like a php error on the first load, I just wish I knew what. The error log on the server (I use asmallorange.com) has a few recurring error lines that I don't understand:

Code:
    removed.

I tried experimenting last night by removing components one by one to see if it makes any difference. I *think* the problem lies in the header.inc and/or the global.inc:

Header.inc
    PHP Code:
    Removed

global.inc
    PHP Code:
    Removed

What is also curious is that clicking on a Web or video design from the portfolio section never produces any problems, but clicking on a print design DOES produce a white screen -- yet both print and web designs are created using the same "showDesign.php" page.

I also tried loading up contact.php in my browser, then copying the source and deleting all PHP code and replacing it with the HTML that the server outputs. When I do this it works, so clearly the problem has something to do with the PHP code, and not the HTML or CSS.

?!?!

I've attached a zip file with the relevant files (contact.php, showDesign.php, CSS, global.inc, header.inc). I've had to resort to a warning page on my home page that tells the user the page won't display properly in some browsers, which isnt very professional.

Remove Ads