Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I was looking for some PHP scripts to learn from, and I came across one that is encrypted. It said encrypted by zend optimizer at http://www.zend.com . Encryption seems like it would be a good way for you keep people from stealing bits and pieces of your hard work, while still keeping the full thing available... I am probably going to use something like this once I (eventually) get to a finished product. Does anyone have any experience witht this kind of thing? I looked through their website for a little bit, but it wasn't clear to me if anything had to be installed on the server for this to work. I think the answer lies within this page: http://www.zend.com/products/zend_engine but I still don't know the all the lingo for the dark side of the internet .
    "There is no spoone" -The Matricks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So, I happen to be a huge proponent of Open Source, namely because the web wouldn't be where it is right now if people weren't willing to share their code on the condition that they were credited...

However, code obfuscation is an oft-used method and has even been done with the HTML source of pages (which, I'll mention, is the most retarded place to use code obfuscation in the world).

Member #
    Well what if disributing PHP scripts is your business and you have a unique and complex script and you don't want competitors to steal all the little bits and pieces of your work? Then you would lose business to people who just copy and paste If you're writing/distributing scripts for free though, I say let it be open source. I definately am not capable of writing PHP for a living, but that is my view on open source. There are definately things that you should leave unencrypted such as layout for those customers that would know how to customize your product, but in your organization's best interests, you should leave the main part encrypted.
    "There is no spoone" -The Matricks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I find it's extremely rare for people who actually steal code to be able to actually use it for what they need it for (as opposed to what you needed it for), unless it's something simple like layout.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    spasm attack, please modify your signature to comply with the forum rules (no text larger than the default size).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    There are millions of lines of code all over the web. Anyone can effectively steal from any of them. When code is taken out of context of its original system it is useless or completely differnt by the time you have finished patching it to work with your new system. The argument that somone will steal the logic is valid but inevitable, that is why intellectual property was invented. Just because a program is opensource does not mean that is has completely free use. You can choose a license and then specify your terms and conditions. If you suspect someone is stealing your logic you can take appropriate action.

But lets face it unless you are ebay or google chances are your code is going to look far too similar to the other millions of lines of code on the web for everyone to specifically rip your code off.
    www.appletv.co.uk

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Personally, I think the only sort of code that needs encrypting is the stuff that others don't need to steal from. You know, your database connect script and stuff like that. Especially if you include them. I've taken to using obscure file extensions and using Apache to give them the [minicode]application/x-httpd-php[/minicode] handler.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ljm
    Personally, I think the only sort of code that needs encrypting is the stuff that others don't need to steal from. You know, your database connect script and stuff like that. Especially if you include them. I've taken to using obscure file extensions and using Apache to give them the [minicode]application/x-httpd-php[/minicode] handler.
    explain that handler?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I just noticed it in Cpanel, messed around with it and had .wzy files load up as PHP. Whether it's supposed to do that I dunno. I have no clue about the rest of it, just wanted to look smart.

Remove Ads