Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm trying to develop a dynamic PHP site. It will contain updated News, Sports, Weather and Entertainment information. I am relatively new to PHP but understand for the most part how it works.

I'm building the layout at the moment, and plan to have about four or five templates for the site- each template will have its main content fed from a database...

Could you point me to a resource that explains the correct way to begin approaching such a project, maybe a tutorial or two?

That Sitepoint tutorial, 'Building Dynamic Websites With PHP' by Kevin Yank I thought was weak- it didn't really have anything to do with building a site like this from the ground up.

-- I'm interested in understanding things like- putting the main navigation bar in a database and feeding it to each template && uploading/putting story text into a database and feeding it to the template && pulling out only selected stories for the day or week from the database into the templates (and then archiving or shifting the older stories in the DB).

For real, any help is greatly appreciated...hope this makes sense to you!
    Never Know Null.

Member #
    "That Sitepoint tutorial, 'Building Dynamic Websites With PHP' by Kevin Yank I thought was weak- it didn't really have anything to do with building a site like this from the ground up."

Wrong. That tutorial is a winner.

Member #
    Not so much for things I've mentioned though you know.
    Never Know Null.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Originally posted by CrAz
    "That Sitepoint tutorial, 'Building Dynamic Websites With PHP' by Kevin Yank I thought was weak- it didn't really have anything to do with building a site like this from the ground up."

Wrong. That tutorial is a winner.
    Instead of combating with others opinions, try instead to help with the problem at hand.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads