Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi

I know frames are the last thing anyone wants to use!!!!
    But....

Here is my issue.
    I am making a website for myself and am wanting to have a music player, which plays background music continuously in the background (with the added option of turning it off)
    While this is no problem in Flash, I am making my site more intergratable with PHP, so instead of making the entire thing in Flash, I have taken the elements, put them into separate movie files and used them through out my site. All this in mind of people being able to type into the URL the page they want to go to, the ability to use the back and forward buttons, and being able to bookmark the individual pages of my site - rather than if it was all in a flash movie on one page, every time they refreshed, it goes back to page one... get what I mean?

The problem arises when I want to use a music player...
    Every time the user changes page, the player is reloaded and the song starts again.
    Without wanting to get too technical in making flash get the current frame the song was on, pass it through the url, pick it up once its reloaded and start playing from that current frame (which would cause not only a stoppage but a lot of coding and hoping it all works!) I figured the best way to do this would be to use frames. Have a php page in the bottom frame which has height and width of 0 and 0, and pass variables to that which then just load the songs (little swf files) into the php page, rather than through the flash player.
    This means I can swap the page that is displayer in the mainFrame, while the player keeps on playing in the other frame.

Unfortunately, the frameset stays as "index.php" or whatever, and so the whole point of doing this in php or html is abolished, because when ever you refresh or bookmark, it just takes you back to the page as "index.php" started as!...

Can anyone think of a way where either:
    a) Can get the player to keep continuously playing over page urls...
    or....
    b) Use frames in a way where the frameset is morphed so that the player frame (bottomFrame) is always there but the url changed due to the page you are on (ie instead of staying as index.php it changes to the other pages - art.php or flash.php or whatever.

A sample of how the player frames work can be found here... http://alingham.ifastnet.com/affirmation/index.php
    To see how I have worked around using the frame to include the player... use the navigation after you enter the site and go to the "music" page...
    There there is a button to go to Track 2, and to Stop the player (both pass variables to the same page loaded in the player frame....

Long post - big problem!

Cheers,

Al.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You could load a frame using variables passed in the URL, possibly. Eg. Your music page could be linked to like this: [minicode]http://site.com/index.php?page=music[/minicode]

When you click on that link, it loads the page in the main frame you have. You'd need to use a fair few if and elseif statements to get it working, mind.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ljm
    You could load a frame using variables passed in the URL, possibly. Eg. Your music page could be linked to like this: [minicode]http://site.com/index.php?page=music[/minicode]

When you click on that link, it loads the page in the main frame you have. You'd need to use a fair few if and elseif statements to get it working, mind.
    This is true - and it would provide unique url for each page...
    It would only mean a if statement for each page, to load into the main frame, and use an include system so that the player didn't reload....

But - I've heard that such search engines have issues with variables and stuff in the url, which is yet another reason for having it all as url pages instead of one page containing one flash movie...

Cheers for the suggestion tho...
    Any other ideas?

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If your host has mod_rewrite installed on your server, you can use that to make the URLs search engine friendly.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ljm
    If your host has mod_rewrite installed on your server, you can use that to make the URLs search engine friendly.
    Yes and no...
    I'm not sure if my server has it...and I'm not sure how it works or what it does.
    If you could explain to me what it actually does then it might be worth looking into.

What I almost want to do is cloak the entire url if I were to use the frames I am using at the moment...
    I'd rather keep it simple for the average user out there who can just type in http://www.mysite.com/mypage.php
    rather than a long list of variables tagged on the end.

At the end of the day, I am much more likely to remove the player completly (or have it only on the music page) than resort to bogus methods...

I'm just wondering if there is any way anyone else has found to include such a player which continues to play no matter what html page you're on within a site...
    I have come up with this way using frames, for those who don't mind using frames, but it doesn't work for everyone (such as myself!)

Cheers for your suggestions ljm!

Has anyone else had any ideas?

Remove Ads