Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I'm currently designing a website and I'm sick of using my own dodgy homebrew CMS (now with added MySQL injections!) so I decided to look into the possibility of using a nice little open source CMS like XOOPS or Mambo. However, both currently appear absolutely impenetrable to me and I'm having difficulty with a number of different issues.

So, two things - firstly, do you know of a place where a total noob like myself could go and learn about these CMSs from scratch? I would post all my problems on here but I have so many just at the moment that it's difficult to know where to begin.

Second, does anyone have a preference as to which of these (Mambo or XOOPS) I should go with, and why?

Cheers
    Nick

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy1234
    ...total noob like myself could go and learn about these CMSs from scratch?
    If you "by scratch" mean how the code works (nuts and bolts level), I think you'll have a hard time. Reverse engineering a complete software product like that, would be tedious and labour consuming. It would be less time consuming to build a system of your own from scratch, even if you started out with a blank page.

However, if you mean modifying it to suit your needs (layout, CSS alterations, etc), there are a lot of places to look.
    http://forum.mamboserver.com/ (just as an example)

With regard to which one is better than the other, it all boils down to personal needs and preferences. It takes a bit of time to get comfortable with whatever system you choose, and once you feel confident with a certain package, you will probably stick to it through upgrades, to avoid starting out from scratch again.

This forum for example, is based on the VBulletin software. However, it does not look nor feel like any other VBulletin powered board I've ever seen. That's because it's been heavily modified by the site owner/admin, to look and feel the way it does.

If you're going to modify some board software heavily, you should check out different support forums and find one with an interface you feel fairly comfortable modifying.

If you're gonna stay with the generic look, then other aspects (like admin interface, plug-ins, and other options may play a bigger factor.

An unaltered generic look though, is a real turnoff for most visitors.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Yeah I tried Mambo and couldn't understand why it was so popular. Same for Xoops and other sons of Nuke type software. Doing something simple involved so much work.

Textpattern is the CMS I use. The effort required is proportional to the complexity - that's how it should be. Do a search on their forums for my username to get answers to newbie questions.

Remove Ads