Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys. I first want to thank everybody for their help! This forums is great and has helped me start crawling in the world of web design. Now I want to walk.

I am going a project for my dad, he sits on the board of a non-profit and they wanted a website(www.casfa.org). Easy, some html and css and viola, a website. Well then they wanted users to be able to contact them through the site. Okay, so I delved into the world of PHP(not very far). Whether I used good programing principles or not, I got the form working. Now I am way over my head so again I turn to you guys.

CASFA wants more functionality. For instance, they want members to be able to post news about on going projects, they want a master calendar of scheduled events so that the membership is informed on what the alliance is doing. To complete these tasks a good option would be PHP and MySQL, correct?

By the way I would tell them to hire someone better, but I'm free they like that and I'm free because it's a learning oppurtunity for me.

For those so inclined to help.

How should I go about learning what I need to know to complete the above idea?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks for all the help I've had so far off this forums, it's been very helpful.

Jake

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    :laugh: This is sooooo funny! It's the exact same way I got in so deep in this web world

PHP and MySQL are the way to go so you got that figure out

You would need to create an administration section and give access to certain people so they can add news and events and whatever else they want you to add in there.

A simple way to start is to create a users table with username and password. It could be only one that members have access too or you create one for each member.

Then, you'll need a login script. I'd give you mine right now and show you how I do it but I don't have access to my files.

Then, create your table for news and another for you events. Create pages in your admin section with a form that send the info to the db and on the site itself you retrieve that info.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    karinne,

Thanks for the response!

So for starters I should learn use MySQL and create a user's table.

Thanks again,

Jake

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    That's a good start .... have you ever done SQL? It's pretty much that.

This is a pretty good place to start - http://dev.mysql.com/ -
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    PostgreSQL is less common than MySQL, but it teaches you far better habits than worthless MySQL. Its syntax is also much closer to the ANSI SQL standard, so if you ever work with other DMBSs, you'll find the transition easier.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Not that you can't use more or less adherent ANSI SQL with MySQL, of course...

Also worth looking at is phpmyadmin, which is an excellent UI tool for managing MySQL databases.

Remove Ads