Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I'm looking to code a website where I have users who can register and then post articleish things...is php the right language for this? Will I need MySQL as well? (I'd like to keep it very manageable as well...I'm guessing it would become a content-management type thing).

Also, what sort of stuff should I learn then?

Member #
    MySQL is a database in shich you would store user data and the websites content.

PHP is the language you would use to call data from the database.

Its not to difficult to learn and there are plenty of books and online resources that would help you learn php.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Is it the `right language'? Hardly a fair question :-) There are many languages that are right for what you're trying to do. PHP is probably the most popular, because hacking code out in it is fairly easy. Granted, that code usually ends up looking like crap, but it's fairly easy to do it :-)

Other languages suited to it are Perl (through CGI) (most people don't recommend this anymore, just because Perl is a strange little language), Python (Django being a well-known web development framework for Python), and Ruby (Rails being the foremost framework for Ruby, though others such as Nitro exist). There are others like ASP.NET with C# and Java's J2EE. ASP.NET/C# are supported only on Windows-based servers, for the time being (the Mono project may well change this in the near or not-so-near future). J2EE isn't the easiest thing to find hosting for, either.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    PHP is one of the most widely supported, and simplest to get into languages. It also teaches you terrible programming techniques. Referencing an undefined variable is merely a notice in PHP whereas in any other language it would be a compilation error or a fatal run-time error. Stupid.

MySQL isn't as bad, but it still is far from the best free databases. So far, I'm still preaching PostgreSQL love. Far, far better than MySQL, but not nearly as popular, which is too bad given how it's a proper relational DBMS and has been for years, unlike MySQL which only got half-good with MySQL 5.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads