Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Help a newbie!

Member #
    I'm new to PHP an MySQL. I need some guidance. Currently I use Dreamweaver. I made my way through a dozen of tutorials from Help. I grasped basics of static page design. Now I want to move to web application development.

What should I download/install/buy to start making web applications as fast as possible? Where can I find some good tutorials teaching me the basics.

I decided to purchase a book: PHP and MySQL Web Development (3rd Edition) (Developer's Library) - Luke Welling. Is this a good idea? Should I learn from books or is it possible to get all knowledge from free online sources?

Member #
    I learned from online tutorials, one book and a hell of a lot of trial and error

Member #
    Get this.

http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Dyna...e=UTF8&s=books

Its a fantastic book, its so easy to learn from, each topic is explained with a script, this means that you can see everything in action. It also comes with guides on how to build registration and e-commerce sites at the back.

With a book you want a lot of coding examples which encourage you to try this out. If a book doesn't possess this you just learn the syntax but not how to use it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ...And always remember that if you have any PHP questions, the best place to go is http://www.php.net... And if you scroll to the bottom of any page, there are tons of user tips.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Big thx

Remove Ads