Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    How do I decrypt the passwords in the .htpasswd file with a PHP script so I can use them to add/delete users and their passwords?

cPanel writes to the file and encrypts the passwords. So is this possible?

Member #
    Dont think you can alter/open the .htaccess file a webpage, purely for security (what if someone else has acces to your webspace).

Member #
    "cPanel writes to the file and encrypts the passwords." - Yes, you can. And it's .htpasswd, not .htaccess. Either way...I would like to know how to go about doing this. Thanks for your input though bfsog, no offence

Member #
    Ah sorry, misread.

Hwever, cPanel is protected, by that I mean there are no files that can be accessed by joe bloggs.

Though I have never used .htpasswd I rely on databases for user details

Member #
    Yeah I know. But it's no more protected than a subfolder on a webserver that has a .htaccess authorisation prompt. Without the correct credentials, neither can be accessed by the public.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Is there a reason why just reading/writing as usual would not work?

EDIT: never mind, it's the decryption you're looking for. Sorry. According to this page (man page for the htpasswd program), either MD5 is used (in which case it's impossible to decrypt), or crypt() is used. crypt() seems to use a variant of DES, but, if it's not one-directional like MD5, you'll need to know the salt that was used to encrypt it. That means you can probably encrypt, but you won't be able to decrypt.

Member #
    Thanks. As long as I can overwrite the current password(s), I am happy I'll play around with crypt() for a bit and see what I can do. Thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It might be in your best interest to use the htpasswd executable via a shell call from within PHP, if that is permitted on your webserver, as I'm not 100% sure whether htpasswd has its own salt or what.

Member #
    It's not permitted Looks like I'll have to start using MySQL databases :P Thanks for your help though

Remove Ads