Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Forums/Scripts

Member #
    I want to make a page similiar to the yahoo profile page where people can upload a picture and add information. I will be using yahoo geocities as a server
    I really dont know where to start I know html but i'm a little lost:hurt:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can't do this on just Geocities. You need something that can run dynamic content, including (ideally) some sort of database like PostgreSQL.

Rephrased: you need to pay a tiny amount each month for hosting. Free hosting won't work.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Can they add just information with a free account?

Member #
    Here, let me lay it down for you. For storing information, you have the choice between your server and your users. For a database then obviously you want them on the server. This is typically acomplished via a database, such as the popular MySQL, a server-side programming language such as the common PHP (on which a lot of help is available),and communicated via HTML forms.

The thing is that these are applications run on the server. This means that you can't just ask them to process your PHP script. Most (if not all) free hosting sites don't support PHP/mySQL (which is the most common pair) because they are resource-intensive - an application on the server has to evaluate a PHP file (or any other Server-Side Language like ASP) and process them, doing database queries, and only after it's done it can send them. HTML files are just request and send. For this reason free hostings don't want their servers populated with these stuff.

PHP or anything of its kind is incredibly powerful. Most sites (including the one you're reading now) that have dynamic content - which means most of today's sites - use a programming language. They ease the addition of information and organizing data. I highly recommend you to pay the small fee of a real domain name (like www.yoursite.com instead of ww.geocities.com/site) and hosting.

Once you've got that stuff, you need a login system. there's one available on these forums.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads