Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok, i have looked literally EVERYWHERE and i am sooo desperate for help. I have a website that i am desigining (i dont have a host yet, so i'll take suggestions for a host too) The entire website is completly designed from A - B.. However, the main feature is the ability to submit and search homes in the area. I am not a real estate company, just a place to host the advertisements online.
    I would really love to find something that i can just plug into my website with the ability to customize it to match my design. Thats ALL i want.. but apparently it is impossible!!! GAHH what am i doing wrong? I also hear that hosts will provide features like this. I did sign up for HostGator services but cancelled because i couldn't figure out ANY of there features.
    Where do i begin!!?
    Thanks in advance
    Tekture

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    At the place I work for, we used Open Realty for a real-estate website we made.
    It was fully-customizable, so we could make it fit in with the rest of the site's design.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    How did it work as far as features? Are you able to add fields, such as bedrooms, baths, sqft.. or whatever else might be needed? Also, was it easy to update?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, you can add fields easily, through the admin (no programming). In the admin, you go to the section "Edit Listing Template". Then you can choose "Add Field", and there's like ALL these options for the field (name, type (text, number, etc), default value, location on listing page, show field to (agents only, all visitors, etc), allow searching, field order on search page, etc etc).

Easy to update - well I think so, but I don't actually manage the database. But logging in through the admin and just looking at it right now, it seems really easy to update. Oh yeah! And you can upload pictures through the admin and everything. You can do basically everything through the admin. Except for changing the look of the site, like the html templates - I just did that through Dreamweaver.

Member #
    Thanks a BUNCH! i have downloaded the program and have briefly looked through the installation instructions... It appears i need a HOST first so i can install this on the host server. This gives me a WONDERFUL weekend project. Thanks for all your time and replies!

Member #
    You're looking for a Server-side application... you will indeed need a host for this, or you need to turn your own computer into a temporary host - which I recommend, because constantly modifying files on your host can be annoying while you're troubleshooting problems. I'd suggest you to get Apache and stuff to try out the app on your computer and then upload it whole. It can take some extra experience but as you're a web developer, you need to learn it.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekture
    Thanks a BUNCH! i have downloaded the program and have briefly looked through the installation instructions... It appears i need a HOST first so i can install this on the host server. This gives me a WONDERFUL weekend project. Thanks for all your time and replies!
    Cool! Glad I could help!

Remove Ads