Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello all,
    first sorry if this is in the wrong bit, but I don't think it is!
    I am creating a games news website. HTML I can do with just about no problems. But what I want to be able to do I have no idea where to start. I guess it will need some PHP which I haven't got much experience with! So I am hoping for a bit of help.
    What I want to do is create a games news site. There will be an admin section, with a link to a page where new articles are written. On this page, I plan on having a form. Two text boxes. The first for the article title, the second with the actual article. The article will be written in HTML. A submit button will save the article and take the user back to the admin section.
    If the user goes back into the article and they have the privileges, a new button will appear that will allow the user to publish the article. This will publish a preview on the home page which will have a link to the actual articles page.
    Now I have no idea where to start. I don't think the article will fit in the database, plus i'm not sure if HTML will work in them.
    So, I have no idea where to start and I am beginning to think I have bitten more than I can chew! If anyone can advise me where to start and what is needed then I will be truely greatful!
    I probably haven't explpained my self to well either so please do ask if something doesn't make sense, or if more information is needed! And thanks in advance for any help that can be given!
    DangerM0use

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I think I know what you're talking about ...
    It almost sounds like a blog, but almost a news content hybrid.

Perhaps it's more like a "review" script?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ts&btnG=Search

In any case, you'll have to know PHP to customize it for your site.

But, you can start out with a free script and play around ...
    it won't cost you anything.

Member #
    Thanks for that, will have a look at what the search brings but you have given me an idea with the blog. Think I can play around and get what I want!! (I hope!! )

Member #
    Better get some PHP experience though, or else you'll end up like I did - getting a masively complex page, which can be nasty to take care of. There are many common mistakes you need to watch out for.... I suggest some books first, there are plenty on the subject.

Before anything you will need a membership system. Get one first.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads