Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everyone,
    Im knew here, my name is daggarz and well essentially ive started my first hardcore web design. Ive got the basics of the site up and running using dreamweaver. But the company who commissioned me just informed me that they need a page for their employees to log in and change information.
    So basically i need a log-in utility thats secure and run by either me or the boss, and an online editable page which will be a few pages.
    Im willing to make these pages totally separate to the main core of the site and look nothing like it. I know it will need PHP or mysql but frankly i need to do it by this weekend or i dont get paid and wont be hired again, im quite literally at my wits end. If anyone has expertise in this subject i am pleading for your help. If you have msn messenger possibly send me an email with your address and ill add you. Btw for info, im using ftp server.
    Gratefully,
    Daggarz

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    How much information are you talking about?

Just a few paragraphs on a page or two ... or a lot of content?

This will make a difference on whether or not it's necessary to use MySQL.

Also, if only 1 or 2 people will be making changes, only a simple single-password
    session script is needed ... no fancy MySQL scripting would be necessary.

Member #
    Hey thanks for the quick reply. Ok let me lay it down.
    Im designing this page for a property development company. There is a for-sale page that can be accessed by anyone. But there is a link that says more detail. This link will open a page with more info about the property which can only be opened by authorised viewers. The agents who access these pages to sell re fluxuating as in they sometimes change etc. so wat is needed is a username and password to be issued to the agents.
    These agents also need to be able to edit the price on the open "for sale" page to change it to SOLD if they sell the property. What i was hoping is that i can say put a word document onto this page that can only be edited by authorised personal. But copied by anyone. Please tell me if this is possible. Thanks so much!
    -daggarz

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    OK, well now you'll need to use PHP/MySQL because you'll be handling many
    different "member" log-ins.

With your web design business, or hobby, or whatever, you're going to be required to
    do many site developments with server-side scripting ... either PHP or Perl. You'll either
    have to learn these yourself, or partner with a subcontractor that will do the scripting
    for you (and take a share of the profits).

So, with that, you'll need to find a "members area" PHP script that is already
    made, or purchase one. Once installed, it will handle the registration and logging
    of members.

The content part is actually easier. Again, it could use MySQL for each property,
    and only a particular member would be able to edit that.

You don't ever put a "word document" in ... it's really just text that is displayed
    dynamically on your page using PHP.

All of this is going to require some PHP experience, so you may end up subcontracting
    this part out to a programmer.

=====================

Your final solution might be to obtain or purchase a whole real estate script:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...script&spell=1

Then, hire someone to install it and customize it for you. Your site will then be
    built around PHP and not necessarily using Dreamweaver, but customizing the
    templates the script uses. Or, you could use Dreamweaver and somehow mix
    the scripting in with your pages. In either case, ask your PHP programmer how
    best to approach this.

Remove Ads