Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am wondering what the best FREE personal web server is, I am currently using something called Abyss Web Server but I cannot get it set up as Dreamweaver's testing server (I have a book that explains how to use Apache, MS PWS, IIS but I think they cost money).

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Apache is quite free.

I used to run Apache, PHP, and MySQL on Windows; all three of which are designed around a Unix/Linux environment. I've since switched to running all three plus PostgreSQL on a dedicated Linux server, and by server, I mean a $200 Dell refurbished desktop that runs perfectly fine to this day, despite it still being too much power (yes, a Celeron 2.53 GHz with 1 GB of RAM is overkill for what I use it for).

Still, Apache, PHP, and (God forbid you have to use it) MySQL run on Windows without significant problems.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I am unfortunatly having to test my forum software on it (which does use MySQL), It is a modded version of phpBB called Icy Phoenix and I need to figure out how to get my phpBB db into it without wrecking my existing phpBB forum (Icy Phoenix is still in beta) so I am trying to do it offline first to figure it out.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    And IIS is typically free with XP Professional and such, if I remember correctly. I may be wrong, though.

Member #
    Yes, IIS is free with XP Pro, but you need to go through a few steps to install it because it's not default.

Remove Ads