Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi there,

I'm working on a site here and looking to redesign it.

At the moment it works in that the nav bar is in one frame and the main section is in another. They designed it this way because in the main section there is a form for booking a trip through a third party and they want the nav bar to stay on top when that external page is called in.

What I would like to know is...is there a way to eliminate using these frames by using some sort of php include/require/whatever that will keep the Navbar visible the whole time?

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Yes, you want to read up on "Server-side includes" (SSI).

You may also want to look up the include() and require() functions on www.php.net

To make the nav "always visible" even when scrolling, you can
    (1) give it CSS "position: fixed" which will not work in IE6
    or
    (2) use a big table an put the main content in a cell that has CSS "overflow: scroll"
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    In reality tho, users know how to scroll back up to the nav.
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Having fixed navigation sometimes doesn't help much. People know they need to go to the navigation to go places and it can sometimes be confusing why it's following them around.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    It's not so much that the nav stays when a user scrolls...it's that when this external form is called it stays.

I'm beginning to think it's not possible after a few different tries.

include() and require() definitely don't work...at least not in the ways I know they do it.

Member #
    right as said before if your content scrolls past the menu people know to scroll back to the top to start with. And secondly how can you get php includes wrong its so simple..just use
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    include ('somedir/somefile.ext');
    ?>
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I would suggest the rest of you actually read what the post says ;-)

As far as I know, silver10, the only good way of going through an external site while maintaining control is through frames. And even then `maintaining control' is a bit of an overstatement.

Member #
    There's no such thing as "control" if you're referring to another site by frames on the web. Things change and evolve...
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    What about using the fopen function in PHP would that work for what you want?
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    leprechaun13, how could "fopen" possibly offer a solution to his problem??
    That's just the glue between a stream and a wrapper. If no wrapper is defined/found, you'll just generate an error message.
    fread() would stream the resource, but you would still need a container to handle the output.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfiend
    ...the only good way of going through an external site while maintaining control is through frames.
    As Shadowfiend says, the only way to maintain your layout when redirecting to an external site, is to use frames (unless you want to load the external site in a pop up window, but I guess that's not what you're aiming for).

If you want to launch an external site within your space, you'll have to designate a piece of screen property, that is cut loose from the rest of the page (Like an independant layer on top of your design).
    Only frames can do that at present.

However, frames are not frames in every respect. The traditional frames (which I assume you're strugglig with) are cumbersome and verbose (and hard to maintain).

The easiest "modern" frame, is the "iframe". It works like a <div>. You can assign attributes to it, and position it anywhere you like.

You can have a look at this thread that includes an example at the very end.
    S. Rosland

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads