Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi guys,

anyone have recommendations on a site that offers online training for php and mysql?

Member #
    id just get a couple of books and teach yourself the easiest and cheapest method by far.

My recommedations are Teach Yourself PHP/MySQL & PHP & MySQL For Dummies.
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I find the easiest way for me to learn a language is to devise an actual, production-environment project I need, and then implement it in the new language.

Also, understand that while MySQL is frequently associated with PHP, it's by no means the required database. You can use PostgreSQL (recommended), Microsoft SQL Server, or a variety of other APIs that PHP offers, all of which are better than piece of s**t MySQL.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    so which PHP book is the best? b/c i got some posts saying to get the PHP bible, and one book referred was "Beginning PHP 5 and MySQL, filburt or anyone have a say on w hich book?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    I find the easiest way for me to learn a language is to devise an actual, production-environment project I need, and then implement it in the new language.

Also, understand that while MySQL is frequently associated with PHP, it's by no means the required database. You can use PostgreSQL (recommended), Microsoft SQL Server, or a variety of other APIs that PHP offers, all of which are better than piece of s**t MySQL.
    question for you filburt.

what is better,. in your opinion to learn 1st My SQL or PostgreSQL?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    PostgreSQL, definitely.

Member #
    id like to make a point filburt. Many hosts do not provide PostgreSQL or any alternative to MySQL. Another question are the functions for PostgreSQL the same as MySQL just beggining with pg instead of mysql? As you seem to worship it Im going to see what there is to worship.
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    MySQL is more popular only because it, historically, was installed by default on most *Nix OSs used for web hosting. Now it's popular only because it was popular in the past, which means most PHP scripts use it for a database connection.

The PostgreSQL functions are similar but not identical in any way to the MySQL API functions. You've already discovered that there's no pg_select_db() because it's done in the connection string for pg_connect(). There are still similarities, though: pg_query(), pg_fetch_assoc(), etc.

If a host doesn't support PostgreSQL, that's not surprising. However, if the host refuses to install PostgreSQL, I would find another one. It appears that Hosting Matters (the host WDF uses) doesn't have PostgreSQL installed at all or enabled for my account, and if they don't, I'll move hosts. And this is after hosting with them for five years now and about $660 later.

PHP is one of very few languages that doesn't just abstract the database connections into a separate, modular API. Every other language does; for example, Java has JDBC where it's mostly irrelevant to your code what database is used as JDBC abstracts everything out to database independence.

edit: We use MDB2 for some projects at work: http://pear.php.net/package/MDB2 . MDB2 is a package like JDBC is: it abstracts the actual database implementation so you usually won't care whether you're using MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, whatever.

Remove Ads