Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    ...that's what I'm trying to create. My goal is to build a comprehensive database of certain products with specifications and written descriptions for each one.

For example, let's say I'm creating an online database of cars. Cars will be organized by make and body type, and each specific car model will have a page with a written description and tons of specifications. Users will be able to search for cars by their specs--for instance, someone could search for all vehicles with four-wheel-drive, manual transmission and weight within a certain range.

Users would also be able to submit content to the site. Since I can't possibly find info on every vehicle in existence, users will be able to submit information on vehicles that aren't in the database yet and add information to any vehicle profile that's lacking. I would review all submitted information for accuracy. Users would also be able to submit reviews and comments on certain car models.

At some point, I may even want to allow users to set up personal profile pages on the site where they can write up brief bios and post pictures of their cars.

So my question is, what kind of database and content management system do you think would work for this? Is there anything online, preferably free, that could be adapted to this purpose or do you think I'll just have to build everything from scratch? I was toying with the idea of adapting WordPress for this, but I think my goal is too different from what WordPress was designed for. There doesn't seem to be any available code for a "feature search" application coupled with user-updatable content.

For your reference, here's a page that does something kind of similar to what I want to do, but with cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_eos400d.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Thanks for any advice!

Member #
    It's actually a pretty general and straight-forward thing to do (in commonality, not simplicity). Most database systems will work for this, too. You'll first need to get a membership system and then a method to input data into your databases... I'd say you best start from scratch. How experienced are you in MySQL/PHP?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I have some experience with PHP, but not much with MySQL; I'm pretty much learning the syntax as I go right now. I've learned mostly by studying how Wordpress does things. That's why I don't want to reinvent the wheel with this project, since I know I'd make lots of bad design choices that would have to be fixed later. I'd rather find something similar that I could hack to work for my purposes.

http://www.open-realty.org/ kind of does what I'm looking for, albeit with real estate, but it doesn't look very attractive. If anyone knows of similar open source product database systems I'd appreciate hearing about them, so I can compare them and figure out what approach works best.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    It doesn't exist, and needs to be hand made. Did something like this a while back, and depending on various functions, can be VERY complicated. Start Coding.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Something so abstract might just work best as a Wiki.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, it sounds pretty well-suited for wiki functionality; plus, wikis have search :-) Have a look at ThinkWiki, a wiki on Thinkpads and, more specifically, their use with Linux, to see how you might organize such a thing on a wiki.

Member #
    I did think of using a wiki, but I'm not sure some of the things I want to do with my site could easily be accomplished with a wiki. For instance, I wanted users creating a new product page to select most of the product specifications from drop-down menus.

With the car example, you could have the user select front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive from a drop-down menu when creating a new car model info page. All non-numeric specifications would be created this way. I also wanted the product pages to include graphical icons representing different specifications.

With wikis, it seems difficult to easily enforce these kinds of uniform standards for submissions and page appearance. Wikipedia has established standards, but those are all voluntary on the part of the users. I'm not sure there's a way to generate a new wiki page using a form with drop-down menus and a text field for the description instead of having the entire page code entered in one big text field.

There are some unconventional-looking wikis, though, like http://www.playgreen.org. I'll take another look at wiki-based solutions.

Member #
    I can understand why you'd be opposed to using a Wiki...it looks like you're aiming for a very specific goal, and using a Wiki would be a "lesser" version of what your vision for the site is. However, because of what you're looking to do, starting from scratch is the best way to go about it.

If you've got some familiarity with PHP, MySQL is a great database system to use in association with PHP, and it's very widely used by hosting services. MySQL isn't that hard to learn, if you just take some time to look over the finer points of actually managing the database. I would start by creating a Database, and start practicing simply using a very commonly offered phpMyAdmin (SQL controlling web-based application). Practice by creating a table, and then start entering some content into that table and practice modifying it.

Once you get the general idea of how things work (considering you know a little PHP, it shouldn't take that long), you can begin to piece together a user system first, since this will be the backbone of your site. Try sites like www.hotscripts.com to get a login system that utilizes MySQL storage, and modify it to fit your needs. Building the actual product databases is a breeze after you tinker with a login system, and learn how to input/modify database content via PHP. Before long, I think you'll surprise yourself with the results.

Building the product databases, like a said, should be a breeze after you get done sifting through a login management script. Just tailor it to what you're storing for product info (in this case, cars), and you'll be all set. Come back and ask questions where you need help...and given a little time you should have the site you really want.
    Owner - http://www.project-guild.com (in development)

Remove Ads