Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi folks,
    I have a website which uses the 'allow_url_fopen' function to show an RSS feed on my mates works website. Unfortunately their hosting company have this function turned off - i think i understand why this is generally not allowed, by some hosting companies, due to security reasons. They have advised me to use the method CURL to execute the rss feed. (note they only support php 4.4 (i think))

Unfortunately i am just getting to grips with PHP and msleim has helped me a lot with my original workings. Im now in deeper water in trying to figure out another add on to PHP. (whats really annoying is that whilst working on this website i posted a holding page for them with the RSS feed on and it worked fine - but then the hosters have recently done some updates and security improvements so it will no longer work!!)

Now my question is how do i use CURL instead of 'fopen' - is it a simple change of code? ive looked on http://www.php.net/curl but can not work out which curl constants i would need to use in my PHP.

Or rather than use Curl what about the method shown here on http://apptools.com/phptools/xml/rss.php -Could i adapt this to work in my php easier than CURL?

Files are attached - LastRSS.php (obviously gets the latest news feeds); Main.php (which is embedded into my webpages). The website if your interested is www.rostance.co.uk (the link to my site is just my testing website showing the rostance site actually working - currently working on a logo to have at least a contact page etc)

I would be really greatful if somebody take the time to have a look at my php and advise or help me with this problem!

Many Thanks, Edd.

Member #
    Update - Ive sorted it out!

Thanks for viewing the post.

Cheers,
    Edd.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Any chance you could explain what you did for future posters?

Remove Ads