Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    A client purchased a template (against my suggestion), which has a calendar feature on most of the pages. She wants visitors to the site to be able to use this to see when she is in their area for events. I have the MySQL database, and tables set up (via PHP MyAdmin), but don't know how to get the search form to actually look at the database for the entries. I have a test entry set up already, but can't do anything with it because I don't know how to get the form to access the database.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Upload all the PHP and MySQL code that you have... that'll be a good start to diagnosing the problem.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by transio
    Upload all the PHP and MySQL code that you have... that'll be a good start to diagnosing the problem.
    This is all that I have. It isn't much beyond what was included beyond the template.

Thanks in advance for helping.

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    In order to do what you want to do, you're going to need to use a server-side scripting language such as PHP, which works so well with MySQL. You cannot do this with HTML alone.

Member #
    Thanks, I know that much. I just have no idea where to start. If she had a Window's hosting plan, I could use ASP, but she has a Linux host, so I have to use PHP.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wait.. But it looks like that calendar doesn't have any PHP in it... Are you saying you're trying to use the PHP to get some info into the calendar? If so, you'll want to look at:
    [phpfunction]mysql_connect[/phpfunction]
    [phpfunction]mysql_query[/phpfunction]
    [phpfunction]mysql_fetch_array[/phpfunction]

Is this just a PHP issue, or do you also not know how to go about using SQL to get the results you need?

Member #
    Im starting at square one. Do you know of any tutorials that would help with this specific task?

Thanks again.

Member #
    His HTML code contains one php script: events.php
    I assume this is where the calendar database access happens, so from what I can determine, this is a PHP MySQL access issue. Therefore, he has to 'hook' up the calendar functionality he wants using PHP - either the events.php script or a new one when the form loads.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by -chris-
    Sorry, I forgot to post the events.php. It deals with the connection. I don't know if it is right though.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    # FileName="Connection_php_mysql.htm"
    # Type="MYSQL"
    # HTTP="true"
    $hostname_events "localhost";
    $database_events "*DB NAME*";
    $username_events "*DB USERNAME*";
    $password_events "*DB PASSWORD*";
    $events mysql_pconnect($hostname_events$username_events$password_events) or trigger_error(mysql_error(),E_USER_ERROR); 
    ?>
    Sorry, again, I found a mistake with the original file. The path for events.php is wrong. Attached is the updated file.

Member #
    That connection php looks correct - obviously you will insert the actual connection parameters - have you tried this code to see if it actually works?
    Assuming it does:
    The next step after you make connection with the MySQ DB is to formulate a SQL query string to fetch whatever calendar data you want from the DB. Do you know what data you want?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads