Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello! Does anybody know any practice materials for PHP? I would like to train myself using a more traditional method. It would be like you will have a practice cases then you have to code it and have it checked if what you did is correct or wrong. Something like that. I am not particularly fond of reading PHP for dummies because it doesn't have the part where you are asked to code something for practice. I would like to have a teacher/student feel where you are tested.

When you want something to be done using php, you just have to google and find some code that fits what you need. I feel like I am not learning anything. Well, unless is you count understanding the code you got from googling but I feel the is not enough.

Does anyone have any idea if such book or ebook exists?

Hehehe... if there is a professor there willing to share their lesson plans, it would be really appreciated.

Member #
    You have to realize that regardless of what you're trying to learn, nothing can replace a teacher telling you what is wrong as you go along.

There are no substitutes on the net, or in the book world for that matter.
    Unless you have the money to pay for a private teacher, you should do like all others do. Learn through reading. You cannot find the answer to your quest downloading cleaned up snippets through the net!

If you want to understand the language, you have to read books that pedagogically leads you through the thought process of the language, and gives you a platform to build on.

If you already know a computer language, then you could easily transfer that knowledge to PHP and in a day or two become fairly fluent in the language.

When you reach a basic level of understanding, then the online manual (PHP.NET) will provide most of the answers you require.
    If you are into string manipulation for example, then typing in the name of the function you want to see the definitions for, would also give you a list of all related string manipulation in the left margine of the page
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Though snippets online can be useful, in the sense that good ones can be read and dissected for useful information including good style. The problem is that there's no one to tell you what are `good' and `bad' snippets online in terms of code style.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rosland
    If you want to understand the language, you have to read books that pedagogically leads you through the thought process of the language, and gives you a platform to build on.
    That's what I am actually after, something that would make me learn from scratch and gradually doing some exercises along the way so that I won't forget what I learned. I have been doing some self study by checking the codes of some PHP scripts out there, but I would really like to have something and gradually increase the difficulty, rather than by picking random PHP codes to dissect.

I have a Java book from Dietel and planning on making the sample programs' output using PHP instead of Java. Do you think that would be a good idea guys?

Remove Ads