Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I had been creating my own database abstraction component (with a full SPL-compliant resultset iterator and everytong) and half-way through my research found Creole...

http://creole.phpdb.org/

So I'm in the process of installing it for first use. Looks super-simple (and remarkably similar to the DB component I was making). Anyone have any experience with it?

It works like this:
    PHP Code:
    $connection Creole::getConnection($dsn);
    $stmt $this->prepareStatement("SELECT * FROM table WHERE id = ?");
    $stmt->setInt(1$id);
    $rs $stmt->executeQuery();
    $rs->first();
    $fields $rs->getRow(); 

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The only two I ever used were the PEAR one and ADOdb. ADOdb seemed nice. That was a while ago, though. Usually I'll just wrap some common functions in my own error handling code. Then again, I've realized that DBALs aren't useful unless I'm making a generic application. The likelihood of an application I'll be managing changing databases is low enough, and I know enough to avoid most issues with that even if that does happen. And it dodges the DBAL overhead, which is nice.

On the other hand, Creole is unit tested, which is fantabulous.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Well the app I'm deving right now MIGHT switch to Java, and MIGHT switch to Oracle or Postgres, so Creole seemed like the perfect choice. It's also got (seemingly) little overhead... though I haven't seen benchmarks. Also, the resultset iterator is great!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I *seem* to recall something similar in ADOdb, but I haven't played with it in... Well... A while Sounds good, though. I'll file it away in my list of useful tools for PHP.

Remove Ads