Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good text editors/php editors... Basically what I'm looking for is something similar to text mate that offers syntax highlighting and possibly instant validation like Visual Studio.

Any ideas?
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    I've long used Notepad++ for all my text editing needs. It has the syntax editing, however for people who want the project management features won't find it here.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    I agree - http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm. Notepad ++ is the ticket for text/php editors.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There's been a lot of buzz in the so-called ``alpha geek'' community about E - TextEditor. This is a text editor that is much like TextMate for the Mac, but it has some neat extra features like built-in version management. It costs money, like TextMate, but most people who have used either quickly decided that it was worth their money. For me, there's nothing E or TextMate can do that vim can't, so I'll stick to vim. In either case, it might take learning a basic text editor like Notepad++ before you can appreciate the additional functionality provided.

EDIT: Though I should mention that recently I've been dropping vim for some things and switching to the latest nightlies of the NetBeans IDE, which is looking pretty kickass, along with the jVi plugin, which makes it behave more like vim. A pretty amazing combination, especially for Ruby and Rails development.

Member #
    I think that, fundamentally, you shouldn't rely on your editor too much. It can help, but don't let it do anything more than necessary. Here's where stuff like autocomplete and the sort fits in - they're an example of helping. However, I've seen editors that do things like automatically give semicolons to line ends, give built-in "snippets", automatically name variables, etc... Steer clear of these!
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Steer clear of these at first. These are extremely helpful productivity tools, as always. One of TextMate's most glowing advantages is its snippet system. NetBeans also has something in that general vein now, as does E Text Editor. While these are problematic at first because you don't learn, once you know what you're doing, they can be as invaluable as any other tool.

Member #
    Thanks for the info!! I'll be checking all of these out soon! Oh by the way, have any of you checked out the aptana ide? I just found this... It seems to mainly focus on have a solid text editor but also has an extensive amount of bells and whistles in it. http://www.aptana.com

~C
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have heard excellent things about the Aptana IDE. Don't make the mistake of calling it a text editor, though -- it's a full-blown IDE based around the Eclipse platform. You can use Eclipse to develop websites with Aptana (including Rails sites, as it happens) and to develop Java applications, and to develop J2EE applications, and...

So yeah, Eclipse is not just a text editor, and, by extension, neither is Aptana. If you're planning on using it, I'd recommend you make sure you have at least 1 GB of RAM. Eclipse can crawl with less than that sometimes.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I'm using PHP Designer 2005. I got it from SourceForge for free, but I think they charge for it now.

It's a more advanced PHP IDE, with a lot of advanced features that other (good) language IDEs have, like project management, bug and to-do notes, snippet libraries, templates, and integrated FTP. It also has PHP's code library built in, so it provides function help directly from the editor - a nice feature if you're not a PHP god.

Member #
    Right Aptana is an IDE. I guess what I'm looking for is more of a text-based IDE like Eclipse and Aptana... Aptana seems to be amazing at developing AJAX apps but does not offer the same features for PHP... yet. I've downloaded it and messed around with it and have noticed that the syntax highlighting for PHP is weak at best and the code completion isn't nearly as good as the Javascript.

I've also tried the e-texteditor. This is a pretty sweet text editor and has way better raw text-editing features than aptana but has NOTHING else redeeming.

I like how on the eclipse platform you can download plugins... The SQL Explorer plugin is awesome for testing SQL queries on the fly and for a quick reference as to what your table names are.

I think right now I should get an Eclipse install and then load it up with some nifty plugins.
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads