Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    [p]Ok, I installed blab, a php/mysql live chat (see http://hot-things.net/?q=blite for the install in question). A quick description of the chat program is as follows:[/p]
    [p]BlaB! Lite is an AJAX based and best viewed with any browser chat system that supports PHP4/5 and MySQL, SQLite & PostgreSQL databases.[/p]
    [p]The odd thing is... i go to my website and load the page after i installed it (see http://www.wangosaurusrex.com/blab) and get wierd garbage characters filling up half the page with boxes and other funky symbols. I get these in IE and firefox on windows, mac osx, and linux. The funny thing is... the page displays perfectly fine on my work laptop running IE. Most everyone else that i point to the page gets the garbage characters but 1 or 2 can load it fine.[/p]
    [p]Any direction on how to make this work for everyone? lol. Thanks in advance![/p]

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I can think of two things, the first being most likely:
    • The output is being compressed using gzip, but no appropriate HTTP header was sent telling the browser to expect that type of data. IE is probably just guessing because it's retarded and likes taking matters into its own hands instead of doing what it was told.
    • The character encoding is different from what the data actually is (for example, ISO-whatever vs. UTF-8). The data, the database, the HTTP header, and the <meta /> tag for the content-type should all reference the same character type.

Don't think it's the second one because it's not outputting any HTML at all.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    thank you!
    now... how would one fix the issue if the issue was option 1 of your list?

Member #
    ok, changed my character sets in mysql db from latin something to utf-general on all fields now to try and see if it loads right (it has always on this lt so hard to verify yet lol)

Member #
    also set gzip to none for the db.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's not the database that's being compressed, but the output sent over HTTP.

http://php.net/ob_gzhandler
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads