Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi folks,
    im currently learning PHP and mySQL, to do web development stuff - still at the early learning stages but i am getting to grasp with it. Now i have someone who may want a CMS for there new website which i am to design (sooner rather than later). I feel that this is a little ahead of what i know:squareeyed: , so below are a few questions which i was hoping you could help me with - I have searched on your forum for the answer but no luck so far.
    1) how much would it roughly cost to get a programmer to develop me a content management system where an administrator could go in a add news items; new images; new case studies? It would need a simple design with out loads of different input and text options (this will hopefully be controlled by my CSS); a small database and must be secure.
    2) Where is the best place to find someone? im hoping here is a blinkin good start!
    Any help would be cool - im not actually after anyone as yet, just interested to know how much it should roughly cost - i know its more dependant on database size etc.
    Cheers Edd!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    There is a section on this forum for requesting services:
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=88

It takes a lot of work to design a CMS from scratch.

You might be better off looking for an existing CMS script, even
    if it requires a cost ... still cheaper than hiring a custom programer.
    In the case of using an existing CMS, you would then need to customize
    it's CSS stuff to your own needs ... sort of backwards from what you
    are telling us you might do.

Member #
    There is no need to design your own CMS - just use Joomla!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Go here and have a play with some of the various Open Source CMS solutions available.

http://opensourcecms.com

Sean

Member #
    I agree you should spend your time looking at existing CMS solutions rather then designing your own. They are all different and have their own advantages and disadvantages.
    Youíll probably need to get to know a couple of good packages well and should consider the following issues when choosing. Related to your clientís needs of course.

1. Do you need a large and powerful CMS with lots of features. Many have big communities with lots of resources and addons but this can make them code heavy and time consuming to set up when you donít need all the facilities, but a life saver when you do.
    2. Look at the page structure. If high traffic performance and SEO are more important than the need to do everything then you may be better of with a blogger style parsing engine rather than a full online dynamic database solution.
    3. Set up time. The more complicated they are the longer they take to setup, however, some only require one install to create lots of sites which can be a real benefit when creating lots of smaller sites.
    4. Ease of use for the client. Donít over estimate how clever your client may be at entering information. Even letting them add text can be too difficult at take a lot of your time in support.
    5. Security. Any online database solution has risks particularly open source with lots of plugins.
    6. Speed. Time is money. Donít forget the time to set up, add content and upgrade with each new release of the software (most years).
    7. Flexibility. Design should now be 100% separate from the content but youíll still need to be able to customise the templates to your clients requirements.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rfresh
    There is no need to design your own CMS - just use Joomla!!
    green - good advice

red - bad advice, imo

i wouldn't recommend joomla to anyone. it is easy to create but is a very bad CMS to get started with due to the bad code it outputs, use of tables, and general out of date structure it has. i hear the next release with be worth a look, but no idea when thats coming out

i would reccomend CMS made simple , which is very simple (still in the early stages of development) and easy to understand, setup, and export from local server to your live server.

or drupal which is a far more solid option in terms of capabilities, etc.

depending on the budget you may have i hear the trading eye cms (and shopping cart) i worth a look

Remove Ads