Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all. I know that with PHP you can do almost anything but I'm unsure of what exactly WITHIN PHP people use to make games. Such gaming websites as http://uranme.net are stricly PHP and it confuses me as to what they use. What php functions give people the flexibility of these sites?

A vague question, I know. But I'm unsure of how to explain some features of these games. :bored:

Member #
    They're simply toying with databases. Simply you have a database with certain data in it. You then provide certain functions with manipulate inputs to modify that database - this is the part you want, I think. The third part are the forms and interfaces associated that allow for players to send orders that activate the functions. Quite simple as a whole, really.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Hmm, interesting. I'll look into it a bit more then. :P Thank you.

Member #
    Good luck on that. One extra thing you might want to look at are cron jobs, which let you do various things based on a time pattern, such as running a PHP script every 15 minutes. Very useful in games.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    HAH! I just revisited this thread to ask about something like that. You're a god.

Remove Ads