Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For Dummies

Member #
    Would you recommend PHP 5 for Dummies as newbie's guide to PHP? Or is it too dumbified and won't learn anything?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You would be better off using Google to search for PHP Tutorials.

If you want better books, see Amazon ...

I sort of like Luke Welling's publications:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...&Go.y=11&Go=Go

Maybe these are more advanced? I'm not sure.

Member #
    Hmm, I suggest that anything that explains what you're doing and if possible has a CD is helpful. I haven't got that book (wanna buy but its a bit out of my range)... Here are the main problems with bad PHP starter books (or, for this matter, any programming introduction book):

1. They just give code but don't explain why it works. Very bad.
    2. They don't teach you how to install the thing (which, in PHP/MySQL's case, can be rather complicated).
    3. They assume too much, or being too specific (such as one that teacher how to make a membership system, but all the way to what "echo" does. Leave the advanced part out, or at least separate it).

There's a lot of discussion about "learn-as-you-go"... But if anything, code samples are incredibly useful (with comments of course). The web is very good for this.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Yeah, I admit that although I studied PHP by examples and boards like this, I have purchased some books too (I cant resist they always look so shiny).

Although, I think reading about it on the web is much more efficient way to learn, if the resource site is structured in a decent way, with examples and so on.

Member #
    The problem for me is that I don't have internet connectivity at home so I almost always rely on ebooks and offline explorer.

What I really like is to have some practice sets. I have programming experience so I really don't have any problems with devising simple algorithms. Horray for Turbo C!

Reading PHP starter books is quite boring until I reach the last 3 chapters where it all gets interesting. Recently, I bought PHP 5 for Dummies, I really got disappointed. There wasn't any practice set like, create an output like this and that.

Member #
    You could save/take note of these: http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Web_D...PHP_Challenges

Member #
    I've found that anything "For Dummies" really is for dummies and that being such a person (not meaning you or I, but they) should not be using the technology they're trying to learn from the book.

A very good book that I've enjoyed working with is Core Web Application Development with PHP and MySQL. It goes through the process of application development, not just making dynamic pages. It starts with the basics, of course, but it doesn't bore you with them because those few chapters are quite short.

Member #
    don't knock "php for dummies", its how I learnt, well "PHP & MySQL for dummies" actually along with "teach yourself PHP & MySQL".

they worked out alright for me, once id learnt all the books could teach me I came here for help and found many tutorials. And occasionally I looked into the PHP manual for guidance, but that can get a bit confusing because its written (ill probably get shot for saying this.) "by techies for techies"
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    It's nowhere near as good as many other books out there that cost the same amount. Congrats for learning with it, but I still can't give that book much credit. Besides, you mention you learned along with another book, which essentially lessens the value of PHP for Dummies.

My advice stays the same: Avoid "For Dummies" books.

Member #
    I think book for dummies is a quick way to learn in how to work with PHP. I was working with Turbo C before and I learned developing better algorithms from colleges. Though dummies doesn't give you the idea on how to develop an application using some framework, it does help if you need a quick how-to's.

@leprechaun13, that's good to know dude. Keep on learning!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads