Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Referal System

Member #
    Im trying to write a referal system for my lastest project (which I shant give any details of as yet), I need to to be based on referer IDs rather than URLs,

If anyone can help it would be appreciated. I only need the part that puts the referals into the database because thats the part I cant work out, with some error traping so people cant be happy clicking.
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Some more info would be needed (not necessarily directly about your project though). Referral URLs HAVE referral IDs in them, so you're kind of trying to avoid / accomplish the same thing.

Are you just trying to take user specified information and place it into a database? In otherwords, when someone signs up, and inputs a referral ID, it adds something to another user's profile?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    the idea is the user signs up, enters their website url, they are then emailed a link to verify the email address and give a referal link of form
    Code:
    http://somesite.com?refid=43
    what I need is some help writing a system that checks to see if the ip address visiting has visited in the last X seconds and if it has dont increase the referal count for the referer.

I hope that makes some sort of sense I couldnt find any other way of wording it.
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Consider using sessions and cookies too. If you use those, it's as simple as writing them using the session and cookie superglobabls. Its better for you, since if you want to use IPs then you need to sacrifice some storage space on your site too. But sessions/cookies can be turned off... I guess it depends on how strict you need it to be.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Id like to use ips as it gives greater control, and by using sessions and cookies of people wanna to get a massive refer rating they just turn them off and click away. Id like it to be pretty strict, youd understand why if I told you what the project was but I dont want to give anything away yet.
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    IPs don't give greater control. Don't forget proxies
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I cant believe I forgot about proxies, as im using them all the time to get around certain restrictions that my school imposes, and certain websites.

So what do you suggest as the best solution?. How does adwords control this?
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Google Adwords? I'd imagine by looking at it all: cookies, IPs, RATE of clicks, etc.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Ok, so can any of you recommend a system, that is pretty solid with or without some kind of error trapping?

and yea I meant google adwords.
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    If its really important to get accurate, then I'd create a database entry for each visitor. Inside it are a few values, perhaps the IP and also a cookie code. When someone clicks the link, a cookie is written with a random string, and the database is given a new entry. You can now match the IP and the cookies between the database and the visitor. This gives you a double protection system, but of course it isn't perfect. In fact you can't get a perfect referral system, as far as I know.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads