Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Basic Question

Member #
    I don't know anything about PHP, this is a very basic "noobish" question, wasn't sure if I should post it here or in the HTML forums but I thought people in this section would be more likely to know the answer, as it involves PHP.
    From my site I want to link directly to a certain page from this site:
    http://www.vijhl.com
    but this site uses frames and it's pages are all .php files. When I look at the properties of a certain page, get the url and try to link to it off my site it does not work for people who have not already navigated to it from the above site's homepage.
    for example, if I go to the above site and navigate to "Game Results" from the menu on the left side. Now, If I go to game # 172, within the frame it brings me to a page with this url:
    http://www.vijhl.com/VIJHLGameSheet.php?GameID=2652
    If I try to link to this page directly from my site it only comes up with an error (which I am sure is not a suprise to you people). I assume this is because, while navigating to this page form the vijhl.com home page, it establishes certain variables within the php files? I don't know... I am just wondering if it is possible to link directly to this page from another site.
    Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    I put this URL on my own webpage and linked to it just fine:
    http://www.vijhl.com/VIJHLGameSheet.php?GameID=2652

I'm not sure what you by "it doesn't work".

Give us the URL to your webpage where you have the link.

Member #
    Thanks for your help.
    It appears that if I have already been to vijhl.com in during the current session in my web browser, the link works fine; if I haven't, the link doesn't work.
    I took a screenshot of the error I get when I attempt to go to the url when I have not been to vijhl.com in my current web browser session:
    http://www.campbellriverstorm.com/desk.gif
    Maybe that can give you some insight into the problem. Thanks Again.

Member #
    Hi Curtster,

It looks like VIJHL sets a SessionID when you visit their homepage, and that this is required in order to get at other content on the site. Presumably, this is so that they retain control over the content, and so that it becomes difficult to put VIJHL info on your site without going through them. I'd drop their marketing department a note, let them know what you're trying to do and see if they can provide you with a snippet of code to help get things running for you. If your interest is legitimate, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help.

Regards,

K.

Member #
    Thanks. I will get in contact with them, the site I run is for one of the teams in the league, so I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Member #
    Cool, I hope it works out well for you! Go Canucks!

Cheers,

K.

Remove Ads