Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi all,

I have a dynamically generated form with about 5,000 inputs. Problem is, when I try to submit the form, the browser teeters on the edge of getting really, really mad at me. Have I overstepped my bounds with regard to $_POST variables?

Cheers,

K.

Member #
    I found this which might help.

Member #
    May I ask why your form has that many inputs?

Member #
    Certainly. It's an order form for an apparel line. There are 9 different possible size inputs for around 200 products in anywhere between 1 and 6 different colors.

Then I need inputs to keep track of which product number and colorway I'm working with on a particular line of the order form.

Cheers,

K.

Member #
    BTW, you can have a look at the form I'm working on here:

http://www.sessions.info/SessionsB2BSite/orderForm.php

Cheers,

K.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The form is poorly designed. It loads too many inputs to begin with, and transmits too much data on submittal.

Even if the thing functioned, it would be virtually impossible for someone to use it, because the information is so poorly presented.

Find a way to allow users to browse a catalog, add items from that catalog to their order, and then modify quantities only of the items they're purchasing.

That means you'll have several screens replacing this one (or in the very least, a JavaScript control to reduce the enormity of this one). But it will increase usability and make the form function, as well.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Would you be able to use an Excel spreadsheet instead?

If you did that, you could have the Excel file transfered
    and processed by the script. Using CSV (comma separated variables).

I would think it could be integrated somehow.

Member #
    Hi all,

I'm actually looking to move toward a solution like the one Transio recommends, but there are business process issues at work as well.

This is a B2B rather than an end customer application, and I'm trying to use the web interface to block orders that are too small (rather than getting them in on Excel sheets and having to go through by hand to eliminate small orders). I've moved to a first page where my distributors will select the products that they're interested in, then generate a smaller form based on that... It's going a bit better. The front page (and I'm still developing it) is at http://www.sessions.info/SessionsB2B...rmSelector.php.

I'll keep posting as I get it figured out.

Cheers,
    K.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Katchas,

You don't even necessarily need to do it as a 2 step process.

You could simply load your product categories on one page, and when someone selects a product, it uses AJAX to dynamically load the available colors and sizes and generates a form beneath that item.

When unselected (or minimized) that form would simply be set with display:none, which would turn off the associated inputs but keep the html on the page so when maximized again, you wouldn't need to reload the form.

This type of interface would be the most usable, would load quickly, and would eliminate the issues you're having with post variables.

Another thing you can do to simplify your life is post variables as arrays. For example, instead of doing <input name="dress123_color1_size1" you could do name="dress123[1][1]" to define a 2-dimensional array. I'm not sure if this will work, but I've used 1-dimensional arrays in posts in the past, and it's a huge facilitator of reading large posts.

Member #
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the insight... I'm still working on getting the whole dynamic page design thing down. One concern that comes up with implementing this as an AJAX page is that I would need to figure out how and when to take the data from my MySQL database and turn it into an XML document. For the first implementation, I'm going to have to go ahead with what I have. However, for the second generation of this order form, I'd like to develop something a bit cleaner and more informative. If you have any advice as to where I could look for creating the XML, that would be awesome.

Again, I really do appreciate the input.

Cheers,

K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads