Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey guys,

I've had a little experience with cookies, but I am completely stumped with my current problem. Reading from PHP.net that "full" cookies are more compatible with older browsers, I designed a shopping cart based upon them. However, I soon found out that AOL users and random other people were having difficulties. I traced this problem to the cookie's domain, which theoretically should have worked, but didn't. I made a simple "testcookie" php file at http://www.expressionsjewelry.com (which is basically a one-liner and an echo statement; setcookie("bob1", "I hate Olivers *** cheese flower gnomes. ", time()+3600, "/", ".expressionsjewelry.com", 0); ). This did NOT work for many people. Strange, I tried it on two other servers from the same host (dimlightstudios and jodiendicott.com), changing the domain appropriately, and they functioned perfectly.

Why? What is wrong with that domain? I have looked everywhere but have found no clue nor documentation about Internet Explorer or cookie flukes like this one.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out, even if this is the dumbest, most simple and obviously overlooked thing you've ever seen.

-Doodler

Member #
    You can just try leaving out the domain and path parameters--the browser is supposed to set them the the domain of the current page, and '/' respectively.
    I'm not sure about the security implications though.
    James H
    Home Page · Mars Page · www.fihsf1.net (formerly www·fihs·net)

Member #
    I read at PHP.net that creating "short" cookies like the one you mentioned is incompatible with older browsers... Is that true?

Thanks!

-Doodler

Member #
    OK, I didn't know what long and short were.
    James H

Member #
    Er, does that mean that there is, or is not a compatibility problem? I really don't know for sure...

What I read was an old comment from a user at PHP.net. Recently, a friend told me that that only applied to PHP 3, but I have no idea.

Anyone?

-Doodler

Member #
    If php can't handle it, it should fail on all browsers... I think it's probably a browser thing.

I think the specification is that a browser should assume values for domain and path if they're not given, just to simplify things for the programmer setting the cookies.

Netscape invented cookies, and this is their specification:
    http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
    James H

Member #
    My friend told me that the problem might have something to do with the .com being relatively new (2 weeks old). Maybe there is some security service out there, or something? He told me to wait a week and see if it resolves itself... I don't know what to say to that.

-Doodler

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    No... if they can see the site at all, the ISP already has a DNS entry for it.

I think it might have to do with the sub-domain (i.e. the "www" part). Try connecting to just http://yoursite.com and leave out the subdomain and see what that does.

Member #
    What am I testing, exactly? I sent someone a link to the main index and test page without the www subdomain, and it worked exactly the same. What did you have in mind?

Thanks,

-Doodler

Member #
    I just did a few tests with my friend, and found out that the cookie would not work with him unless the time, path, domain, and security settings were all left out. What the hell? Note that a "full" cookie worked for him at my projects.dimlightstudios.com/islandexpressions account.

*cries*

-Doodler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads