Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    For every action that happens in a browser a status code is return. Status codes in the 4xx signify client errors. Status codes in the 2xx signify success.
    go here to find indepth info. Theoretically, one could use .htaccess with, say,
    ErrorDocument 202 /counter.php
    to redirect successful entries to a php script which would log pertinent information in a database and then redirect the user to the location s/he was aiming for. This way, one can have a custom hit counter. Is this possible?
    I cannot self terminate, you must lower me into the fire.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Or you could use something like webalizer which analizes the server logs (no extra stress on the server) giving you the exact information you were asking for
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Yeah, but the problem is that some one of don't have our own servers, so if the webhoster we have doesn't offer something like that, then were flying blind. But I'm more curious if it's possible to be done. If it's possible I would like to do it to see how it comes out.
    I cannot self terminate, you must lower me into the fire.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    if you can get logs, you can run webalizer or plethora of other log analyzers locally.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Running it like you want will eat up resources like all heck... it'll be fine for the first few thousand hits... but get some more and it'll be a pain. Not to mention search engines probably wont like being redirected immediately, 56k people will sit there and watch 2 pages load each click etc etc.

Most hosts have webalizer or equivelent stats program... sometimes you have to activate it, but with the competitiveness of hosting now-a-days I'd give you a 80% chance they'll have it.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Remove Ads