Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hiya,
    I'm having a bit of trouble passing variables from a php file into a flash file. I can do it the other way (Flash to PHP) fine using

getURL("foo.php","","POST");

but whenever I POST variables from foo.php to the swf file, the flash file doesn't seem to pick them up. In the flash file I initialise a variable called 'name' (which is also the name of the inputfield on the php page), and then call

loadVariablesNum("foo.php", 0, "POST");

which should load the POST variables to level 0 (AKA _root?) of the flash file, but whenever I try to display the variable (using a dynamic text box) it only displays the default value of the variable which was set when I initialised it....

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
    ~GaZ~

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Make sure that your php file is only passing back a value... no HTML. The HTML will kill the loadVariablesNum function.

To test it, load the page in your browser and view the source. That will tell you what it's returning.

Member #
    what exactly do you mean by 'only passing back a value'?

I used loadVariablesNum("foo.php", 0, "GET");
    in phpinput.swf to see what variables were being passed, and the url was 'foo.php?name=test' yet name did not receive that value...

PS i forgot to mention in the first post... i'm using FlashMX on Windows 2000

~GaZ~

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    umm.... i don't think that's how it works.

I've never actually used that function, but i think it loads variables from the page, similarly to XML-RPC.

So what you would do is call loadVariablesNum("foo.php", 0, "GET");

Then, the page "foo.php" would return a value (e.g. "test") and you would set your parameter to that.

This is all just guesswork. Try looking for tutorials on how it works.

Remove Ads