Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

I have a good knowledge in designing HTML and Css code. And have knowledge in C and C++ programming. I am looking forward to go for PHP website development. I found many online tutorials to learn the basic php and have downloaded some video tutorials too. But i want to know that is it possible to learn php as professional developer or should i need to go for the professional training for that ?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I suppose it could be done professionally. I don't know what the job market for that would be.
    It would be my guess that a company hiring a full-time developer would require a broader knowledge
    base than just PHP. Like SQL, MySQL databases, server expertise, and probably ASP.net

I can't imagine a company hiring just for PHP development.

It's probably best to look at specializing in one area, and getting a job working with other
    developers. They might hire you for your skills in Online apps for mobile devices, or even
    Native apps, if you went that far. HTML5 and online apps using PHP/MySQL might be an
    example of where to focus.

But don't just listen to me ... I'm a 50yr old guy (old school electronics). Do some research
    on what "real experts" feel is the future of the internet. I believe it's going to be all about
    information, and less about what a web page looks like. So going into development VS
    design is a good idea, in my opinion.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Everyone learns this kind of stuff differently, some learn better and more efficiently in a structured classroom environment, some learn better at their own pace on their own time on their own equipment, some learn better using videos, while some like books, and some like online samples.

The key is to figure out how best you learn, like msleim said, I've seen very few job offers in the past few years that specifically call out php as a primary skill without listing several other skills.

That being said, I've seen even fewer that call out for just HTML experience ( static ), most that are willing to pay a decent wage are looking for diverse and complimentary skill sets.

Php, MySQL, jquery, Ajax

Or

Asp.net , mySql or mssql , Ajax etc...

I'm sure there are certification classes out there somewhere but don't really know what kind of weight they would carry in a hiring environment.

Me personally, when I hire or am ask to assist a client in hiring a designer/developer , the ability to problem solve and write solid structured code is key. Forget the wysiwyg editors, I've walked people out of the interview room when their reply to a question was, " if you have adobe CS or visual studio available " I can look at the code and determine the issue...

Most good designers and developers I know, do a lot of stuff on the side on their own time... That shows me that they are driven to learn and keep up with the newest stuff.

Btw... I'm an old guy too... Been doing this stuff for years... Got lucky on one of my first web design ( creating an intranet for the company I worked for ) , they moved me into IT from the steel mill floor... And I haven't looked back.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 230178
    Everyone learns this kind of stuff differently, some learn better and more efficiently in a structured classroom environment, some learn better at their own pace on their own time on their own equipment, some learn better using videos, while some like books, and some like online samples.

The key is to figure out how best you learn...
    Exactly what I was going to say.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you are more comfortable with books I would like to make a suggestion. I picked up a book a long time ago called PHP and MySQL Web Development. I thought it was excellent and helped me out tremendously. It's a long read but explains very well. Since you are already familiar with C and C++ you should be able to zip through it.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    i also suggest that you go through larry ullman book php and mysql for dynamic website

Member #
    No, i don't think so it's necessary to learn php in any institute if you really dispirit for learn php so you can learn to tutorial and video and so many other way to learn php online...

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I'm learning PHP myself. Here are some great FREE online video tutorials that I use to study.

http://www.phpacademy.org/index.php

and

http://thenewboston.org/index.php

Go through the tutorials on thenewboston.org first. That website has 200 in depth tutorials which will get you started. Once you finish those, move on to phpacademy.org. That website has extra tutorials that cover a variety of interesting things you can do with php.

Both websites will also teach you how to use PHP with MYSQL databases.
    Andrew Yurlov likes this.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk095, post: 230521
    I'm learning PHP myself. Here are some great FREE online video tutorials that I use to study.

http://www.phpacademy.org/index.php

and

http://thenewboston.org/index.php

Go through the tutorials on thenewboston.org first. That website has 200 in depth tutorials which will get you started. Once you finish those, move on to phpacademy.org. That website has extra tutorials that cover a variety of interesting things you can do with php.

Both websites will also teach you how to use PHP with MYSQL databases.
    Thanks! I've been meaning to start learning a programming language too.
    Blackhawk095 likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Remove Ads