Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all, just joined this site and I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum for this query or not but here goes anyway. I'm in the process of building a video library website where a user can upload videos to help the library grow. However a simple upload script is not quite suitable for what I want. I'm planning on using my own webserver to host this site, what I want is for the file, the user submits, to be uploaded to a completely different host, lets say to a dedicated storage/file server. Where I can then check the file for, amongst other things, duplication, before actually adding it to the database. After the user has uploaded the file a small window displays echoing upload successful or whatever error that may have occurred during the upload process. I'm trying to avoid using an actual FTP program to do the job but I might have to use FTP as a last resort. If anyone here can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Duplications will be tough to spot, because a person may have the same
    video to upload, but a different filename for it. The whole thing sounds
    very time consuming to script ... I would certainly never tackle this project,
    because YouTube is available. Maybe you can create a YouTube Channel
    and use that. Your site (MySQL) database will be used to handle the
    users and youtube channel video lists.

You also have to deal with copyright issues, inappropriate videos for
    various people, users giving their log-ins to other people, etc.

I wish you luck ... you're brave taking on a project like this.

Member #
    Thanx for the reply mlseim, but not as tough as you may think as I only have to play the video to find out whether it is duplicated or not and as far as adding the video to the database goes it needs to be added to the right place in the database (already more than 14,000 entries) and I will be doing this via an excel spreadsheet then saving as an open document spreadsheet, before adding to mysql, on a monthly basis. Another reason I need to check the video is because this site is dedicated to a special type of video. Copyright is an issue I will sort out at the appropriate time. Basically the site is finished, this little hiccup and getting a newer vlc plugin to work, sorting out approriate hardware and faster connection etc, are all that remain....oh yeah and registering it as a domain. Yes you are right (about being brave) but I have already spent more than 2 years on it. It is my first site and started out as a basic 4 page html project for my IT qualifications. Any one who can help will automatically be invited as an administrator to the site forum. Of course, for security reasons, there are somethings I haven't mentioned here. If anyone thinks they might be able to help or need to know more can send me a pm and I will make the site accessible to them. Once again thanks mlsiem.

Remove Ads